Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI express x16 video cards

• Please log in to reply

Flojo

Flojo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just got finished building a new computer for the first time and everything works well except for the fact that i have pcie slots and i being very stupid bought an agp video card. My question is what video card would you recommend getting? I am going to do some gaming like counter strike source, tom clancys rainbow six 3, splinter cell, need for speed underground2, half life 2, halo, battlefield 2 and other games as such. I just want to be able to play them without lag. That is my only concern. THat being said is there a specific card anyone would recommend for this type of gameplay. any advice appreciated!
Thanks

My system specs are as follows
asus a8n sli deluxe mobo
2 gigs corsair xms ram
amd 64 3500+ venice core processor
40gb sata hd
250 sata hd

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
i would buy the Nvidia geforce 6600gt-6800-7800 depending how much ya wanna spend

Edited by RogueComGeek, 06 August 2005 - 06:43 AM.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i would go with pcie, do to the fact that it's better then a AGP as far as hardware between a agp slot and a pcie slot to mobo.

lag issues are related to isp/connection/servers, with your set up and a new pcie you shouldn't experience any hardware lag

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont get a choice mate he has allready built his system and he has to use the PCI-E slots that are on his motherboard.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
How much u got to throw at it? i would personally go for the best ATI card you can get, for high end cards, buy the best ATI you can get, at the top end nvidia dont seem to benchmark as well from the most recent benchmarks iv seen (on toms hardware). However the 6800GT is also one mofo of a card. I have a mid level card in mine (nx6600GT) and battlefield 2 runs ok at 800 * 600 * 32, but any higher and my computer slows down, especially when i put the textures up, but it does allow 2X anti-alaising.

For you computer, go for a high end card when you can, with all that power, you dont want to bottle at the graphics card.

Flojo

Flojo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I got an evga Nvidia 6800 gt. Its a little $$$ but its as high as i can go. Let me know what you think!
Thanks
Flo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you allready have it then there isnt much point asking what we think, it as good a choice as any though.

Flojo

Flojo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Good Point! Thanks for all of your help!
Flo