Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

World of Warcraft Video Question

• Please log in to reply

DraconLore

DraconLore

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I play World of Warcraft currently with NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU video card. As it stands, I lag severely whenever there are multiple PC's (20+) fighting in a relatively small area which makes any kind of raid virtually inpossible for me to participate in. I don't have a lot of money to spend towards a new video card, but I was shopping around and came across ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9250 256MB DDR/8x-AGP/TV-Out/DVI (OEM) for $49. Seems like an improvement to me being as how the card I use now is 64mb and this one is 256, but I'm sure that's not the only thing to look for in a video card.

What I'm wondering is if I buy this new card will it drastically cut down on the lag in major cities and large scale outdoor player vs. player raids? I'd also like to have more of the actual visual effects of the game such as the water because I've seen on friends' computers that the water, player frames, etc all look much more crisp and detailed, which on mine, they don't. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone in reguards to whether this card is going to be suitable enough for me to play World of Warcraft relatively unimpeded by lag.

I don't think it has anything to do with any other of my computer's hardware, but for the sake of it here's the rest of my computer's stats:

Processor: AMX Athlon XP 2600+
RAM: 448mb
15'' HP Pavilion f50 LCD Monitor (not sure if this matters or not)

...and that's about all I know aside from the computer model: HP Pavilion 735n. Thanks in advance for any help offered with my problem.

Advertisements

P_Z

P_Z

• Pip
  • 6 posts
What is the problem there?
I'm sorry but i might have missed it somewhere, but you didnt mention if its FPS or latency? & if you got high/med video settings.
also do you get a blue screen once in a while?

Edited by P_Z, 06 August 2005 - 03:12 PM.

DraconLore

DraconLore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem is that when there are upwards of 30 people engaging in combat between one another the game actually freezes for minutes at a time until the lag settles. By the time it unfreezes I'd be already dead and sometimes in AFK status at the graveyard, which is just ridiculous. I'd like to be able to particpate in raids and play the game without too much lag, but I don't have the money to buy a high end graphics card. I'm just wondering if the one I'm thinking about buying will do that for me. Here's a link to it with its information: http://www.monarchco...pricewatch&NR=1

P_Z

P_Z

• Pip
  • 6 posts

The problem is that when there are upwards of 30 people engaging in combat between one another the game actually freezes for minutes at a time until the lag settles.  By the time it unfreezes I'd be already dead and sometimes in AFK status at the graveyard, which is just ridiculous.  I'd like to be able to particpate in raids and play the game without too much lag, but I don't have the money to buy a high end graphics card.  I'm just wondering if the one I'm thinking about buying will do that for me.  Here's a link to it with its information: http://www.monarchco...pricewatch&NR=1

View Post

unfortunatly mate you still didnt answer my questions but it sounds like its your ram no your g-card.
if your ram is really 448mb its clearly under what it should be i have 768mb of DDR ram & i do get some lag from time to time [ press CTRL+R ingame to see your FPS] & my FPS never goes more than 50-60ish i know this is due my 64mb gcard but your having the problem in instances & ram is exactly what instances use [ load the game temp. so that you can access the enviornment]. I recommend getting a 128mb g-card & 1gig of ram. the more the better but as you dont have a big budget this is what you should get.