Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Problems

• Please log in to reply

Blazechan

Blazechan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This whole thing started when I had accidently downloaded some drivers for my video card, but I forgot to check the specs on them to see if they would work on my computer. Obviously they weren't working and they made my computer screen flicker and then at times made it look like my monitor went into sleep mode (it didn't exactly shut off, just went blank). So, I figured that I would just delete the drivers and then re-install the old drivers. After I deleted the drivers (in normal mode) that's when all [bleep] broke loose. I've tried going into safe mode and re-install the drivers with the steps given to me by the manufaturer, but I have found that in safe mode I am no longer able to use my CD-ROM drive, get onto the internet, use system restore (which I have tried 10 times already), use add new hardware, or be able to click on the change button in the display -> settings -> advanced -> adapter box.
I have also tried getting onto my computer through normal mode, but I get the error, "Cmdninst has caused an error in <unknown>.
Cmdninst will now close.
If you continue to experiance problem, try restarting your computer."
After I click out of the error box my computer doesn't load up anything. The only thing I can do is ctrl + alt + delete and when I do I see that cmdninst is sitting in the box. Even if I end task cmdninst it doesn't do anything, so I have to reboot into safe mode or just shut down my computer.

In my efforts into getting the drivers from the CD onto floppies then tranfer it over to my computer, I was successful, but even though they're on my computer I don't know what to do with them. There isn't an .exe file that'll upload them into the correct folder, so that the computer will recongnize them.

I was wondering what the detenator program that came with my CD does. I didn't transfer it over to my computer because I have no idea what it does.

Also would it be possible to..well, I really don't know how to explain it very well, but to override the GeForce 2 MX or to make the computer think that it's doesn't have the GeForce 2 MX video card (it recognizes that the video card is connected to the system in the display -> settings -> advanced -> adapter right next to the disabled changed button), so that I can get into normal mode and get the drivers that I need?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Right now I'm on a Pionex that I'm restoring that has a geforce2 MX card. I reinstalled, actually did a BIOS upgrade first, it has a Biostar m6tlc M/B, reinstalled Windows, it had a lot of games but I don't have the disks for them so that wasn't needed, and it had problems, running slow etc.. Anyway got the OS reinstalled, downloaded the drivers for the video card, the only thing Windows disn't pick up, and then found a chipset driver update and put it in. It's working fine now.

I got the video drivers at the Leadtek European site and had no problem with them.

One thing you should definitely do is go into device manager and uninstall the adapter there. Then you should/would be using the Windows default drivers.

Edited by Tyger, 06 August 2005 - 12:56 PM.

Blazechan

Blazechan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I assume that the adapter would have the name GeForce 2 MX or something with nVidia in the name. If I'm right then I wasn't able to find the adapter in any of the trees. Of course if I'm wrong then could you be a bit more specific in the adapter that I should be looking for like what tree it would be in and the name?

Now if it's not there would going to run -> msconfig -> advanced and then checking off VGA 640 X 480 X 16 help?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I assume that the adapter would have the name GeForce 2 MX or something with nVidia in the name. If I'm right then I wasn't able to find the adapter in any of the trees. Of course if I'm wrong then could you be a bit more specific in the adapter that I should be looking for like what tree it would be in and the name?

Now if it's not there would going to run -> msconfig -> advanced and then checking off VGA 640 X 480 X 16 help?

View Post

I'd say uninstall whatever adapter there is, by whatever name, so Windows can revert to the default drivers and you can at least get out of safe mode to do something. I've had to do that a couple of times myself.

Blazechan

Blazechan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
In the device manager there isn't a display adapters tree, I know that's where the video card adapter should be. I guess the next question is, now what?

Also thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. :tazz:

Well I tried: run -> msconfig -> advanced and then checked off VGA 640 X 480 X 16 then rebooted, but nothing changed.

Maybe if I could find a small enough driver install program that I could fit onto a floppie it might actually fix my problem or some how with a laptop memory stick I could transefer the driver install program over to my computer. Of course that's saying that my computer could actually read the memory stick in safe mode which I will have find out once I get a memory stick.

Edited by Blazechan, 07 August 2005 - 11:40 AM.

Blazechan

Blazechan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I tried using a memory stick, but in safe mode my computer won't load anything that uses the USB port. There are no display drivers/adapters on my computer and I still cannot get to my desktop in normal mode.

So, what should I do now? Resort to reformating my computer? Which I wrather not do because I have files and programs that I don't want to lose.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If there is no display adapter it might be going by another name, agp card, or something like that. It might also be in "Other devices" where things unrecognized by the OS often show up. And very often for store bought items you just have to get the right drivers from the makers website and run the installation .exe to install them.

The machine I'm on right now has a winfast geforce2 mx64 display adapter and I had to run the 9x driver installation for it and it works just fine. The drivers came from the Leadtek site. I also ran the installation for the chipset drivers and did a BIOS update, all worked well.