Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Problems rendering computer unusable....

• Please log in to reply

Munin_42

Munin_42

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

This is my problem. When running 3D games the moniter will start to display tiny grey squares instead of the desired screen. It isn't to bad at first, but the longer i run these processes the worse it gets. After about a minute of running the game, the moniter no longer displays the game properly. This problem persists even after the game is closed. I know that it isn't a problem that can be blamed on the moniter becuase i have tried multiple moniters and the same thing happens. I have a good system, well above the reccomended stats.

I'm running a Athlon 64 bit processor, and an Nvidia Geforce FX 5900. I have a Gig of RAM. And the newest drivers for the 5900.

What is wrong? What do I need to get fixed?

Thank you for your time.

(If needed I could try to post a screen shot of what is wrong, and I can do so on request. )

Advertisements

Munin_42

Munin_42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here is some pictures of my graphics problem. It happens on other games besides guild wars btw.

Graphics_Problem.jpg

Graphics_Problem_2.jpg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Does this only happen when running games? It could be you just need to reseat your video card. Or if you just updated your drivers, try going back to an older version. This could also be heat related so check all your temps.

makai

Munin_42

Munin_42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It has gotten worse in recent days, though this has been a problem for a while. It is happening more often now, when i run almost any program outside of safe mode. How do you suggest that I test my temperatures? All of my fans are clean and working properly, to the best of my knowledge. Any help is a godsend. Thank you.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

when i run almost any program outside of safe mode

Are you saying that in safe mode, you don't see these artifacts?? If this is true, then it's either your vid card, or the Nvidia driver, as Safe mode only uses the windows standard driver.

Are you running Nvidia's newest driver? I've read that there are some problems with it. Try reverting to the earliest 5900 drivers you can find. If you have the CD rom that came with the card, use those drivers to see if they make a difference. Or, go HERE for the archive.

How do you suggest that I test my temperatures?

Your bios should have an option to check on-board voltages, and temps. It will not show what your vid card temps are, but perhaps the CD for your card has a utility you can install to check it's temps.

To get into bios, hit the delete key repeatedly while booting up... do this before the time windows would display the splash screen.

makai

Edited by makai, 06 August 2005 - 11:01 PM.

Munin_42

Munin_42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, i didn't check the bios, but i did put a thermometer in the case. The temperatures never rose above 26-27 degrees C. However, I wasn't able to run very many advanced programs, I loaded half life 2 and that kept the temperatures below 27 C, but again i didn't run any graphics intense scenearios.

I agree that it is a problem with the graphics card, because Safemode worked fine. But what I am wondering is what should I have done to fix it. I don't presume to know what to do myself. But i would like to know what i should ask a professional to do.

I'm going to try to roll back the driver. I had a minor problem like this before i updated my drivers, but it has gotten worse after i updated. I would have blamed the drivers, but it didn't affect my play in BF2 until recently. If that doesn't work i will come back and ask for more help.

Thank you for everything.

Munin_42

Munin_42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, good new and bad news.

I changed the drivers to an older one, and I think that fixed my current problem. However, the old driver won't play any of the new games. What is the newest driver that is stable to use?

Thank you very much.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Uhhhh... I no longer use Nvidia cards... switched to ATI. But to tell the truth, I'm thinking of switching back.

What driver version did you load?

Perhaps just step back two versions from the lastest release and try those.

Munin_42

Munin_42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I haven't found a driver that works. All the newer ones won't work, and the oldest one won't run any programs. This shouldn't happen, what could be wrong with the video card aside from the driver? Is it some random setting that I screwed up? Please help...

Thank you

Munin_42

Munin_42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nothing works, i have been running safe mode for the last 2 days, any help would be great. Thanks for everything

Pilot.Ru

Pilot.Ru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi, i was having sorta kinda similar problems... i dont have any screen shots but my graphics kept screwing up in almost all of my games. in some like half life 2 i would change the vertical sync option and it would be fixed till the next load... anyways i tried everything and nothing worked until i finally pressed Del when windows was starting up, then went into advanced>chipset>AGP Bridge Configuration>Primary graphics adaptor>and i changed it from AGP to PCI

after i did that, every game work PERFECTLY and i was so happy....maybe you should try that.

also, could someone please tell me why this worked for me?

thanks, and i hope this fixes your problem

Pilot.Ru

Pilot.Ru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
And could someone please tell me how i can find out how many watts my psu has?