Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opening ports on modem-router

• Please log in to reply

Thats A Nice Pen

Thats A Nice Pen

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am trying to set up UltraVNC on my computer and my brothers computer. He has a Scientific Atalanta DPC2100 Series Modem. His connection is Cable (from wall) -> SA DPC2100 -> Linksys Router -> Computer. I opened the ports I need on his router with Port Range Forward. Then I check the port by typing "IP ADDRESS:PORT" (withholding the real address and port for obveous sercurity reasons) in the address bar of my browser and it comes back with "The connectingw as refused when attempting to contact 'IP ADDRESS:PORT.'"

I dont know for sure but I assume I need to open the ports on my cable modem. If someone could tell me how to find out for sure and also how to fix the problem that would be great. I was thinking about using a different program but that doesn't make any sense since my problem is with the ports. Also I was thinking I could use a port that is already open? What do you think of that?

I dont have zonealarm righ know but I have windows firewall. I opened the ports there and set it to tcp.

There is a firewall on the router but it doesn't give me the option to open ports so I tried shutting the firewall down and had the same problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisements