Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using more than 1 firewall/antivirus

• Please log in to reply

hesnotthemessiah

hesnotthemessiah

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there. I understand that it is not a good idea to run more than 1 firewall or antivirus program at a time as this will cause conflicts and reduce or even completely nullify the programs effectiveness. I have had Kaspersky's Anti-Virus and Spyware Blaster running together in the background for quite sometime now and was wondering if I should be doing this? Is it OK to run Spyware Blaster and Kasperky's Anti-Virus at the sametime (does the fact one is "spyware" the other "an anti-virus program" make any difference)? Kaspersky's Anti-Virus has flashed up a number of warnings to say it has detected dangerous code, so it seems to be running OK, although recently it has failed to prevent a virus from infecting my PC (I always update regularly).

I was going to ask the relevant developers but I thought this info might be useful to other people who run this type of software.

Thanks yet again for your help.
You peeps are great. :tazz:

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
No, there is nothing wrong with running SpywareBlaster, or any sort of anti-spyware software alongside an anti-virus program, since both programs offer protection against different things.

In my opinion, the ideal (ideal, not perfect) computer security system would incorporate a firewall, anti-virus software, and two (or more, if your system can handle it) anti-spyware programs.

hesnotthemessiah

hesnotthemessiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks cassykins. ;)

I have Kasperky's Anti-Virus Personal, SpywareBlaster and Kaspersky's Anti-Hacker (Microsoft's Firewall is off) all running at the sametime so that doesn't seem like a bad combination then. I might perhaps have a look at another Spyware prog to run in the background aswell. :tazz:

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
If you are looking for a good anti-spyware program, I'd recommend Ad-Aware SE Personal, which has excellent detection rates and is, best of all, free. You don't need two anti-spyware programs, of course, but it is always best to have a standby program handy since different pieces of software will pick up different things. ^_^

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Thanks cassykins. ;)

I have Kasperky's Anti-Virus Personal, SpywareBlaster and Kaspersky's Anti-Hacker (Microsoft's Firewall is off) all running at the sametime so that doesn't seem like a bad combination then.  I might perhaps have a look at another Spyware prog to run in the background aswell. :tazz:

View Post

If you are looking for a good anti-spyware program, I'd recommend Ad-Aware SE Personal, which has excellent detection rates and is, best of all, free. You don't need two anti-spyware programs, of course, but it is always best to have a standby program handy since different pieces of software will pick up different things. ^_^

View Post

This is a good setup, but it would be better to run all of that and also use spyware guard alongside of spyware blaster as the are meant to run together.
My setup is as follows.....
Mozilla browser and email client
Zonealarm Firewall
AVG Free edition AntiVirus
Spyware Guard
Spyware Blaster
AD Aware SE
Microsoft Anti-Spyware BETA
and I also use winpatrol as a backup

hesnotthemessiah

hesnotthemessiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks again peeps. I will have a look at Ad-Aware SE Personal and perhaps a few others aswell. :tazz: