Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question about terminology...

• Please log in to reply

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
is it common to reffer to the case of a computer and the computer's cpu as if they're synonomus? and is it common to reffer to the OS(windows xp) as the 'DOS'. and is it common to reffer to the task bar as a toolbar, or status bar??

my computer teacher is doing all these. i want to confront her for teaching false doctrine, but i don't wanna sound like an ***, so i'm double checking with you guys..

here's what i've always known to be true, someone lemme know if i'm wrong::

case: box containing drives, a processor, etc
cpu; central proccesing unit: chip that processes info, synonmouse with 'processor'.
OS; operating system: software with a GUI used for running other software. synonomous with 'system software'.
DOS; disk operating system: software without a gui used for manipulating/running software. synonmous with 'command prompt'.
task bar: bar under desktop, in windows systems, displaying start menu, etc
toolbar: bar on top of most browsers with a back, forward button, and a url bar.
status bar: bar on bottom of most browsers displaying it's current action, such as "connecting to blahblahblah.com" or "done"

thanks, and please excuse my grammar.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sounds like you did some research.

If your teacher is spewing incorrect info (as it appears!), confront him/her as you are correct in your descriptions... just make sure you are tactful!

makai

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
okay pretty correct just 1 small insignificant error (i think its an error neway, but theres also a good chance ure right) not all operating systems have a GUI, as you said ureself DOS is an operating system with no GUI, im not 100% sure but i think there are quite a few OS without GUI

Edited by BTPH, 07 August 2005 - 04:52 AM.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi

you are right on all except one -

OS is the basic infrastructure (software) on a computer which enables programs to be run. So Windows XP is an OS. Other well know OS are -Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98, MSDOS, Linux etc. So it is also referred to as "system software" as you mentioned.

Whether the OS is a GUI capable one or not is a different issue. It need not be GUI capable. e.g. MSDOS is not GUI capable (I am sure u know that GUI is Graphical user Interface, just another component of any OS which provides it).

Also please note that for toolbar and status bar, you have used the example of browsers only. These things exist in other programs also. So word, excel, your anti-virus software etc. almost everything has them both. Toolbar is exactly that - a bar which provides the tools. It may also not be at the top of the window, as MS Office programs allow floating toolbars and toolbars at the bottom of the window.

As makai said, be tactful in "confronting" / raising the issue with your teacher.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i say screw tact and just tell them that they are flat out wrong....the worst thing in the world is a teacher that can't teach.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Just tell the teacher what you think. Don't think you should be nice with the person because it's is your teacher.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

i say screw tact and just tell them that they are flat out wrong....the worst thing in the world is a teacher that can't teach

I would not highly recommend this approach. In reading your telling us your an 11th grader, Meaning you are likely to have this teacher for the rest of the year and maybe even next ?
Go with tactful :tazz:
Or else it could be a long year

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
there is nothing wrong with telling someone they are wrong its all in the delivery,
Its not a question of should you be nice or not,

You have obviously done some research and you questioned it in the first place, show your reasoning for questioning it and the back up you have found,

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

i say screw tact and just tell them that they are flat out wrong....the worst thing in the world is a teacher that can't teach.

View Post

You have to remember that depending on where you're at, the teachers will be doing double, triple whatever duty.

When I was in HS, our "Computer Teacher" also taught a few other courses. Most schools are that way. And don't be a stickler about terminology. When you get out into the "real world" so to speak, you'll find ALOT of people call the case the CPU, heck, they'll be talking about the "computer" for 5 minutes before you realise they're talking about the monitor.

When you're dealing with noncomputer people, you'll hear all kinds of strange things.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
My wife is a teacher. I say that so you can see where my next comments are coming from.

With the current state of affairs around here, money is tight. Especially for schools. President Bush has passed down a few "initiatives" which make finding good teachers very difficult. Main reason - he says they need to do more, but gives them less money. The way the world works right?

Anyways, this has forced schools to make cuts, which ultimately hurts the students. My wife has, at times, been forced to work in the computer lab and teach computers. This is very much out of her comfort zone, but at least she has me to come home to if she has questions. Most teachers do not have that luxury.

This teacher you speak of is likely in a similar circumstance. If you do not use tact and restraint in your reply to her, you will make a difficult job that much worse for the teacher. You might also get a response that you really do not want.

For instance. If some snot-nosed little punk decided to be snotty with my wife and correct her in front of the class for very small things like you are doing here. I would likely show up in that class in the very near future and make that child feel .. well, lets just say, very inadequate.

Do what you will with my advice, but remember, your teacher could be my wife.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ScHwErVe obviously hasn't been in school for a while.....I have the utmost respect for teachers...they do very hard jobs for very little pay and i commend them for what they do because without knowledge we are nothing more than shaved monkies......but on the same note....i know that when i was still in high school....i hated being there...i knew the teacher hated being there.....so i made my stay there enjoyable by messing with the teachers....i'm not suggesting that you call the teacher an idiot....but....being a little rough adds to the enjoyment

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

ScHwErVe obviously hasn't been in school for a while

I m curious what that has to do with anything ?

The bottom line is it's about respect plain and simple, We all face the same situations in regards to the school system as a whole, I have 3 kids the oldest being 18 the youngest being 10 so I have met quite a few teachers, For the most part teachers today sad to say know they are getting into a field where the have limited resources and some are asked to do things outside their comfort zone, They know the pay scale but they love what they do so they try their best,

I manage and oversee 2 million square feet of commercial and industrial properties,All the new construction, maintenance and operations of these properties. I have what you could say is lots of students myself everyone from the guys who try to lease the properties to the guy who cuts the grass, I treat the 2 no different ! I probably make many mistakes a day some I know of others I don't.

But through the respect that I have gained and have given We live in a world of mistakes we are all going to make them, A side converation if necessary not embarassing just pointing out the error and moving on and learning from it,
If someone wants to try and call me out in public and make me look like an idiot good luck to them they may have a valid point they will probably be right but guess what they wont be working in my buildings anymore,

The fact that ggordie asked the question and wanted to back up his findings tells me he is mature and wants to do the right things and point out the error and show his reasoning,

One could sit in class and mock the teacher and try to show the errors in a class room and get a charge from all the class but I m willing to bet that the following few days will be spent rethinking using that approach whether it be at home with a suspention and sitting in school after hours when everyone else is out ,

The bottom line is there is nothing to gain using that approach so why bother ?

Never know that computer teacher may well be the very best English teacher and you just might need him/her to help with your struggling English studies,
or just might be the name you need on a reference to do an internship.

Again no sense in burning a bridge never know when you may have to cross it,

Maybe I m a little more sensitive to this having an 18 y/o going into his senior year and the added pressure of college lurking and not wanting him to try and become the class clown, I know he wont cause he knows whats good for him if he does

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
I’ve been reading this thread for a few days now thinking every time whether I should reply or not, but I’ve finally given in and got to add a few things. First, you've got to understand that teachers do there best in the circumstances that they're in. I’m in my early years of University so high school wasn't that far back for me, but I’ve had those teachers that seem to not give a single thought to their students, but think again, they do. Some teachers are so tired of the attitudes that they are given by there students that having them seem like they don’t wanna be there is understandable.

So, ggordie, you have all the rights to point something out to a teacher, but try doing it before or after class like ScHwErV said

correct her in front of the class for very small things like you are doing here

is not then way to go. And I’m sure they'll accept the correction.

Show them the respect in all regards, wrong or right!!!

being a little rough adds to the enjoyment

:tazz:

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Great to have you Leena, I m glad you did reply
You just took my short novel and condensed it into 2 paragraphs :tazz:

We value everybodies input so if you see something that you care to chime in on feel free,

I’m in my early years of University so high school wasn't that far back for me,

Nice to have a prespective from all,
Thanks again

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts

Maybe I m a little more sensitive to this

Hehe, you're not the only one ...

Edited by Leena, 10 October 2005 - 07:04 PM.