Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looks ok to me, but what do I know?

• Please log in to reply

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

I've made the resets to IE. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling ObjectEdit. I'll need to reset my computer before I'll know if it's made a difference. I'll let you know as soon as I can do it.

Thanks again for your ongoing help.

Cheers,

Brian

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
No problem Brian. :tazz:
I'll check back later.

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

Ok, I uninstalled objectedit, rebooted and checked how things went - same result with both notepad and IE.

So I've reinstalled ObjectEdit (as I like it better than notepad).

I think your tip with the oleaut32.dll migh be worth pursuing.. The fact that there's a later version in the softwaredistribution folder suggests to me that perhaps this was part of a windows update that didn't complete because the copy in the system32 folder is locked.

Is there a way I can remove remove that locked file and replace it with the newer version?

Cheers,

Brian

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
In the system32 folder select Oleaut32.dll

This command will do that for you:

Start > Run > EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/select, C:\windows\system32\Oleaut32.dll > OK

Rename the file to oleaut32.old

If you pay close attention you will see that it will be replaced immediately with the new version. Check if that is true.

After a reboot you will be able to delete oleaut32.old and the new one will be in use.

Regards,

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

Using that command I was able to rename the file, and another copy of the 2002 version took it's place.

I've tried replacing the 'new' 2002 version with the 4Aug2004 version from the software distribution folder, but so far, no change in behaviour with either file - perhaps I'll need to reboot after each change, so I'll do that after work tonight.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by bjdibbins, 14 August 2005 - 03:31 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Let me know.

If necessary we can do it outside of Windows.

Regards,

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

I haven't had any luck in fixing my problem since my last post, and with a number of other things competing for my time I haven't had a chance to do any more in trying to resolve it since last I posted.

I did receive a message from anoher member who had been having similar sorts of problems, and had been using stardock products (as I am).

The only changes to my system that I know of that might have prompted my problems are either; a) Windows Updates, b) Stardock updates, and c) effects of system crashes due to power blackouts.

So what can I try next? :tazz:

Cheers,

Brian

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
We'll have to do it outside of Windows then.

Do you have a Windows CD or a set of Startup disks?

Regards,

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

I have my original XP Home cd, but it's been over 2 years since I first installed and made startup disks, and now I've no idea what safe place I put them in now that you mention it! (I found my old Win 98 recovery floppy though) :tazz:

Cheers,

Brian

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
The CD will do.

Have a look at these articles:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307654
http://support.micro...kb/314058/en-us

In the command console use these commands (each line followed by ENTER)
attrib -s -h -r C:\windows\system32\Oleaut32.dll
ren C:\windows\system32\Oleaut32.dll Oleaut32.old
copy C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Oleaut32.dll C:\windows\system32\Oleaut32.dll
exit

Your computer will reboot. Let me know if the replacement was successfull, i.o.w. check if the version of C:\windows\system32\Oleaut32.dll is now at: 5.1.2600.2180

Regards,

Advertisements

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

Ok, I followed the above instructions. I had a minor setback in that the new file wasn't where it should have been, but in a sub-folder called '9ded4ee34a35fced0033d3e152a36e0e'. In any case the right file is now in the system32 folder, and is the right version.

Unfortunately, it hasn't had the effect we were looking for as I still can't save web pages or files.

Is there a monitor or trace program I can run that will track what occurs when I try to save a file?

Cheers,

Brian

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Can you try this for me?
Copy the part in bold below into notepad and save it as downhjt.vbs
Set Filetype to "all files"

Dim BinaryData
Dim xml
set xml = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
xml.Open "GET","http://www.geekstogo...oad&id=3",False
xml.Send
BinaryData = xml.ResponseBody
Const adTypeBinary = 1
Const adSaveCreateOverWrite = 2
Dim BinaryStream
set BinaryStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
BinaryStream.Type = adTypeBinary
BinaryStream.Open
BinaryStream.Write BinaryData
BinaryStream.SaveToFile "C:\HJT.exe", adSaveCreateOverWrite
Dim WshShell
set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
'WshShell.Run "cnt.pl", 0, false

Let me know if this downloads HJT.exe to the C:\ directory or if this results in an error.

Regards,

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

I had to paste it into word, and save it as a plain text (msdos) file, since Object edit and notepad won't save files.. :tazz:

But, yes. hjt.exe is now on my c: drive

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by bjdibbins, 28 August 2005 - 03:16 AM.

bjdibbins

bjdibbins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Pieter,

Is there anything else I can try? Having to paste text into word from notepad just to save it is painful enough (but at least I can do it). I've also found I can click on a picture and 'email it', then save it from Outlook (no problems with the save dialog there), but I can't save a web page, and on some of the websites I use to purchase items (eg, books from fictionwise), I can't save the files. The best I can do is click on 'open file', and then when it's downloaded and opens, hunt for it in the temporary internet files and copy it somewhere else.

Any further help definitely appreciated. :tazz:

Cheers,

Brian

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
It would be nice if you posted a HijackThis log now that you have hjt on your drive.
Maybe that will tell us what's going on.

Regards,