Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB power surge connections

• Please log in to reply

nightbird

nightbird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
While trouble shooting my computer, I fried my mother board because I thought the switch that turned off the UPS turned off all outlet connections. I happon to plug my computer into a power surge connection while the USP was turned off. I descovered that the power surge outlet connections stayed on. I thought my APC UPS was bad. I bought another one and it also does not turn off the surge outlet connectors when you turn off the switch. Is this norman on all UPS's?

Edited by nightbird, 07 August 2005 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
General UPS Notes:

1- UPS devices have a "PASS-THRU" AC Connector Output that is ALWAYS ON - and is labeled [BYPASS]. It is a PASS from Utility Power with "Voltage Spike Filtering Function" - which means that it is "Surge Protected". This is NOT the outlet that your Computer should be pugged into. Nor do you want to plug in a SURGE PROTECTED POWER STRIP.

2- UPS devices usually have (4) - OUTPUT UPS OUTLETS. This is where you plug your Computer Only in 1st - Display Only in 2nd - LIGHT LOAD TYPE PRINTERS -(like an INKJET) only in 3rd - and the 4th can be used for an Only (1) - EXTERNAL POWERED HARD DRIVE that you use for Backup. - This gives your System FULL Protection against Power Surges - AUTOMATIC BACKUP PROTECTION on a Power Failure - Also filters out Crappy Line Fluctuations.

3- UPS devices only want to have ONLY 1 device connected to each of these [OUTPUT OUTLETS] - NO POWER STRIPS - NO SURGE PROTECTED STRIPS - AND ONLY PROPERLY RATED LOADS - NO LASER PRINTERS & NO PLOTTERS- (They have a HEAVY INRUSH load that these OUTPUTS cannot handle!!!

What is MFG & Model Number of UPS - Did you read the Manual?

Safety Note - Pull the AC Power from back of PC - & from Outlet and then keep it in your pocket!! Then FLAG PC Back Connector: DO NOT USE!! - Also Never Trust CUTOFF Switches -

Then NO ONE will plug in POWER. Your lucky!! If you were working on Power Supply - You would have been FRIED!!

Jack123

nightbird

nightbird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Jack for responding to my question. I got the APC 650. There is no manual. There is one sheet with instalation instructions. The only thing it says about the surge protection is (These outlets provide full time protection from surges even if the back ups is off) I guess the "even if the back ups is off" should have been a clue. I have talked to a couple of other computer owners who also were not aware that the surge protection outlets remained on when the ups was turned off. I guess if all the ups sytems are that way, I will keep this one. Thanks again for your informative response.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
OK - I will try & locate more info on this device.

Where did you obtain/purchase it?

Did you do any research on it? You should go ONLINE & look up reviews & specs on Computer Items that you want to purchase.

PC Magazine is a good place to start:
http://www.pcmag.com/

Like I say:

ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE WONDERFUL. . .
AND SOMETIMES THEY EVEN FUNCTION!!!
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 August 2005 - 09:20 PM.