Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invisible Popups?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

k0rr

k0rr

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi, I'm new to Geeks To Go.
I have, what I call, invisible popups.
Can't really describe them really, but I'll try:
Let's say I'm gaming or doing something that requires full screen. Once in a while, my application would minimize because of an invisible popup. As I press Alt+Tab to go back into my application, an IE page is present, usually with a URL, as the page has not loaded yet. However, when I select it, there is no IE page onscreen. I open up task manager, and iexplorer.exe is running. I end the process, and continue what I was doing earlier, but after a while, it repeats itself. iexplorer.exe is running once again.
This does not happen at a constant rate. Sometimes it will happen every minute, sometimes once every 2 hrs. I've done scans with Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, and Microsoft Antispyware. Ad-Adware & Microsoft Antispyware find nothing. Spybot occasionally gives me the entries "DoubleClick", "Advertising.com", "BFast", and "Avenue A, Inc.". however these entries are just cookies. Removing them seems to do nothing, as they respawn a few minutes later.
I use Avant Browser, which is an IE enhancement. This problem occurs even if Avant Browser is off.
I think the reason theyre "invisible" is that most of the sites that have popped up before (can be seen when Alt+Tab-ing) are in my restricted sites in internet options.

One more thing, when I try to install SP1a, i get the error: Error opening C:\WINDOWS\svcpack.log file

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:15:30 PM, on 8/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\retrorun.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\S-1-5-18\2cf41f1db14bc8f414e16e1555b77108\update\update.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\k0rr\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.blingo.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {348FE907-249E-4C65-A838-F34A193FE1D1} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sfg] C:\WINDOWS\System32\sfg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O4 - Startup: MemTurbo.lnk = C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AD Black List - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Block All Images from the Same Server - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Highlight - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open All Links in This Page... - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.neededware.com
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1122966107450
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1122967105622
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Launcher (RetroLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\retrorun.exe

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Edited by k0rr, 08 August 2005 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello, welcome to the GeekstoGo Forums!

My name is Justin, and I will be helping you clean up your system. Lets get started!

Please go HERE (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on Windows Validation Assistant
  • Click on the Validate Now button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click continue
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.

k0rr

k0rr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
hm, small problem
can't find my cdkey.

if i remember correctly (been over 3-4 yrs since this happened), i may or may not be using an authentic cdkey
my friend's cousin who works for a computer company of some sort had given my friend a windows XP pro cd along with a few cd keys. he gave me one of those cdkeys. i have a valid windows XP home cd key printed on my computer (came with the pc when i bought it). however, i am not using xp home

hm, "It appears that your Windows Product Key is not valid. Please contact your system administrator or retailer immediately to obtain a valid Product Key."
also, i compared my windows XP home cdkey using "Compare Your Anti-Piracy Features" and it says it does not exhibit the features. The WindowsXP Home cdkey is valid for sure though. however, the windowsxp pro that i am running may not be.

Edited by k0rr, 08 August 2005 - 02:30 AM.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello.

I am sorry to say that we have a strict policy here at GeekstoGo. We are unable to assist members who do not have a valid copy of Windows.

You may wish to report the vendor who gave you the illegal copy of Windows XP

Reporting Piracy

At this time I am unable to further assist you with your situation.

Thank you for your cooperation.