Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost XP Themes

• Please log in to reply

Chemico

Chemico

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After attempting to delete unwanted files in Safe Mode, when I rebooted in Normal mode and logged on, although the logon screen was normal XP theme, the windows and task bar on the User account were all like Classic Windows.

If I look under Display Properties, the XP theme is there, but again looks like the Classic Windows theme.

I don't know exactly what I have done or how to recover the standard XP windows and task bar, but if somebody can help it would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Computer Profile Summary

Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Processor Intel Pentium 4 (2 installed)
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: http://www.abit.com.tw/ IC7/IC7-G(Intel i875P-ICH5) 1.0

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your Luna theme is probably corrupted or missing.

Go HERE and scroll down the page to #187. On the right side you will see Restore Luna theme-Restore Classic theme. Right-click on the file and save it to your desktop.

Depending how your machine is set up, you will either see a Winzip file called Resources, or a WinXP Zip folder called Resources.

Whichever it is, open the downloaded file and find the file named Luna.msstyles... the file size will be 4,089 kbytes.

Move this file to C:\Windows\Rescources\Themes\Luna. You may already have the same Luna file listed in this folder, but you must replace it with the new one.

Restart your machine and go to Display Properties and you should be able to choose the XP theme again.

If more that one file in C:\Window\Resources is corrupted, you could also very well replace all the files.

Edited by makai, 08 August 2005 - 05:27 PM.

Chemico

Chemico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:

Fantastic! I tried what you suggested and eveything is back in order. Thanks for your help and for making me very happy (not least because my girlfriend wasn't very happy with what I had done)!!

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
See aint these people awesome? :tazz: ;)

Anngee

Anngee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: :) Bless all who helped with this fix. It fixed my XP Theme problem too!!!!! Microsoft and HP were of no help. It really does work!!! Thank you

Bruce Ri

Bruce Ri

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed Bootmaster, then uninstalled it almost immediately. It forced a reboot, but my PC wouldn't load XP after that. I booted from a Win98 floppy and ran FDISK to find that the partitions were rearranged (thx bootmaster). I set the partition w/ XP as the active one and rebooted fine (almost).

Like everyone else, I booted up to the Classic view. The XP style (luna) isn't even an option. I tried to browse to the theme, but get the error that the Themes service isn't started. Well, I checked it and it is started (always was running). I have looked at kellys-korner and tried the Themes file replace that everyone has tried, WITH NO SUCCESS!

:tazz: :) :)

HELP!!!

BTW, I am running XP SP1 (checked hotfixes applied on my laptop against my desktop has more hotfixes applied than my laptop).

Bruce Ri

Bruce Ri

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:) nevermind...

bit the bullet :tazz: and performed a repair... xp themes is back now...