Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptops - oh for gods sake

• Please log in to reply

amoretto

amoretto

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm looking for a reasonably light/portable laptop < 2.5kg (i NEEEEED to be able to lug the thing around without doing my back in) and preferably widescreen with good resolution, with near-as-[bleep] the following spec:
pci-express (intel or amd, don't mind, but cheaper the better)
1gb ram
128 dedicated graphics
dvd writer
wi-fi 802.11EEEa/b/g (even just g)
preferably bluetooth
preferably reads xd cards (not absolutely necessary, but that's the kind my camera takes)

Am I daft, but is this a kinda of golden fleece sort of search? Surely, looking at what's on offer, SOMEONE must match such a spec?
can anyone help? please?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Everythings good there until you get to the gfx it will cost a fair bit to get a 128meg gfx in a laptop cheaply. 64megs no bother get it for 600 quid if you want, dell or alienware best bet or acer make really good laptops.

amoretto

amoretto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanx for such a quick reply.
I have approx 1500 digital images from my last trip abroad and loads and loads more on cds from a non-digital slr that i got processed onto many cds. I want to be able to manipulate/download these images fairly quickly - hence my perception that it would be good to have the 128mb graphics, perhaps I'm wrong. Perhap you can advise?
I've been looking at sony s4xp and the new acer ferrari, also acer 8104 and 9104(the latter two look quite good on www.laptopcraze.com) wlmi but either price/size/weight has been preclusive - (sony s4xp = £1649).

thanx

Edited by amoretto, 08 August 2005 - 07:16 PM.

amoretto

amoretto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

thanx for such a quick reply.
I have approx 1500 digital images from my last trip abroad and loads and  loads more on cds from a non-digital slr that i got processed onto many cds. I want to be able to manipulate/download these images fairly quickly - hence my perception that it would be good to have the 128mb graphics, perhaps I'm wrong. Perhap you can advise?
I've been looking at sony s4xp and the new acer ferrari, also acer 8104 and 9104(the latter two look quite good on www.laptopcraze.com) wlmi but either price/size/weight has been preclusive - (sony s4xp = £1649).

thanx

View Post

maybe i'm just being impatient, but the new camera takes xd cards and the slr is not digital (I will still be using it - but hopefully not for long - I'm hoping to upgrade to a canon 350d asap). So, anyway, I need process the existing images that were processed off the old slr onto cd (absolutely loads of them ) plus digital images from the new camera (about 1 mb per image, but 1500 of them ) and then have a vehicle for processing subsequent images and also would like to be able to view streaming video at a decent quality.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well getting a 60-80gigs in HD space on a new laptop is fine it is the norm. you will do fine with a 64 meg card and a decent bit of ram, if you ned more than it comes with then you can upgrade with new ballistix stuff alot of the time its cheaper than getting them to do it when you order.