Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD cpu and AMD motherboards

• Please log in to reply

james.ca

james.ca

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello I am new to the AMD boards.
Ihave 2 Boards
Fist unit is an ASUS a7V-e socket 462
with 2x sdram slots max is one gig of ram.
This boardhas a Socket 462
cpu onit can i drop in kind of AMD soket 462 cpu
Thesame problem on a MSI k7T266 pr baord as well socket 462
AMD hascome out with higher performing cpu curently and I am curious to know if I can just pop in a cpu of choice just as long as it fits the 462 socket.
It sems AMd keeps ading to therline and the board makers are being left ehind them in some aspects.

Also both baords have Over clocking software as well
can this be used to achive the higher multi plier settings for the high performance cpu's
many Thanks James

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could you please clarify the model number of the Asus board I was just on there website and could not find the number you listed.

In answer to you question, no you can't just drop in any 462/socket A cpu in, you have to check that the board/bios supports the cpu you intend to use, just because its socket 462 and it will fit does not mean the bios will recognize it.

As for the overclock software, you can use it to overclock the cpu by raising the fsb and vcore but multipliers on all current Amd cpu's are locked so no the softeware can not change the multiplier.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Rick