Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A unique problem

• Please log in to reply

fireatwill22

fireatwill22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer is provided internet access from a home network, and this home network is set up in my Dad's office, and the router is on his desk. My dad has announced that my computer must be off by 8pm period... And he can tell if im on by how lights are flashing on the router. Anyone got any ideas on how to mask my internet connectivity from the router? This 8pm curfew is tottaly gay and im at my wits ends.

Edited by fireatwill22, 08 August 2005 - 08:46 PM.

Advertisements

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think there no way to mask ur internet connectivity. The lights blink because there data in and out ur computer unless u broke the LED lights.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, unless its wireless then there would be no light from your computer. And internet activity goes on all the time when the computer is on. You could always unplug it and stay offline.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
You should obey you parents and not be trying to defeat what they think is best for you.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What do you know, parents are there to be thwarted.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could....in theory....cover the llight with electrical tape and see if he notices....or get another router of the same kind....and make it a dummy router...put the one that actually works underneath somethng where he cant find it...and what not

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like that one dsnette, very cunning. A dummy router.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
What kind of place you running here?............You don't advocate software piracy but you do advocate parental deception.

I really don't see the difference...both are (in theory) illegal......

Maybe the trusted staff is not to be trusted after all.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My idea is still the best. Just blow the LED light at the router ur computer connected to.

Another idea is that make ur father's computer as server for your computer.meaning that when he ons the computer , u can go online. If he does'nt then u can't also. (WARNING though this works when ur father onlines when he wants u to off the computer. Maybe his restricts ur computer usage because he wants all the bandwidth and speed to himself) :tazz:

Anyway, I am truly feel sorry for situation. Broadband usage should be capped to the maximum. (aka never go offline) ;)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yardguard....the only reason that suggestions are being allowed in here is because none of them will work..
if he tries any of this crap he will soon not have internet at all

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you saying you never deceived your parents, ever, what a sad and lonely life your childhood must have been. Besides a bit of friendly deception keeps the folks on there toes. Ah the good old days when you had to decieve your parents.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey Guys, wait until one of ur future or current children tries to deceive u.Then u will know how it feels..LOL

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's what kids do....ALL kids...some do it more than others...and some do it for different reasons (I.e...."noooo mom i didn't smoke pot" or "yeeess i did clean my room")

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
LMAO, remebers such occasions and enjoying the fact that hes not been caught for the "what were you up to at that lan party". Mind you im old enough to do what i want know does stop you enjoying decieving them though. Its all fine and dandy when you are a parent it sucks to be decieved but if you stop them then you impdede on there natural development. How else are they to learn to lie. And if they cant lie to you then how are they going to manage the inevitable " do i look fat in this dress", and you never want your child to answer: well yeah a little bit, do you, you would never see them again.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
The natural development of a child will indeed include deception but to overlook this as a parent then IMO you are not worthy of being a parent at all.

Their narural ability to lie is needed??????!!!!!!....I don't think so. If that lady asked if she looked fat in that dress then I would hope the answer would be an honest one else the lady might become one of your (distrustful of your opinions) kinda person.

I didn't mean to start a psycology discussion on raising children I was merely pointing out that their deception should come entirely from within themselves without the influence of outside help.

But as one staff member pointed out earlier the suggestions that are/were given are nothing that is to be considered viable alternatives so I assume the answers were all in fun (which is ok IMO).

Sorry if I've implied otherwise.........

signed a parent with a 15 year old who is indeed very deceptive...