Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 Kills my Internet

• Please log in to reply

modusoperandi

modusoperandi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, so I decide to reinstall Windows XP, too much crap making it more bloated. This is the third install of XP that I've had, all hardware being the exact same for all three times. For those past times everything has installed without a hitch.

Now this time as soon as I fired up IE(shudder) to get the Windows updates. I get hit with a trojan virus. I clean that up and keep going. I get all the updates and eventually reach SP2. I install it and restart. My internet works fine for about 5 minutes. Then it completely quits on me. If I restart the computer, I get the same 5 minute window of connectivity, then it dies again.

I have uninstalled SP2 and my connection is fine. So there isn't anything wrong with my ISP or router. Anyone have any helpful hints to fix this? I'm thinking that the trojan virus may have corrupted something. Right now I'm leaning towards doing another format and install. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
When u had SP2 the trojan must have damaged some system files.
But when u uninstalled SP2 the infected system file was replaced with a virgin copy (even though it was an older version).
U can re-install SP2 as it is more secure.
If face this problem again, make a vist to our Malware Removal Forum.