Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the dopiest thing you've done?

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Wow
I really can not recall all my dopiest moments, i don't think that i have had any, i lead a quite and somewhat boring life, school and computers, takes up the majority of my life
So there is really nothing interesting happening at all, i have no life outside the cyberworld ...

View Post

Hey dude you really, really need to get out more. Ya sure I spend a lot of time on computers and doing computer things myself but I always find time to get and go for a walk or bike ride with friends or something. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Probably the time when I deleted my Windows folder and the time I took a hammer and broke my old computer.  :tazz:

View Post

there's a guy on the forum right now trying to get help getting his windows update to work...i won't post the link cuz it's not worth moking him....but basically he can't get past the verification cuz it won't verify his product key after he reinstalled...i asked how he reinstalled...he said he deleted the windows folder then reinstalled.....in xp no less....he kept assuring me that this was a proper method and that by doing so he had completely removed all referrences to windows.....did he do anything with the registry?.....did he delete any of the other fun places were critical system info is located? nope..just went in and deleted windows folder....i mean...come on it worked in win 3.1 but jeeze

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Perhaps it was when I sold my soul to the computer's promise of everything in its world in return for time in mine, now I am sure it flicks the minute-hand when I am not looking.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

OMG, you deleted you windows folder????? man that is not good aye, have you dont a repair with your XP CD?

View Post

Of course haha. That was about 2 years ago with my old system. I'm certainly not going to try that again lol! :tazz:

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Probably the time I was walking out of Staples and was walking toward my car. I was looking at the car and failed the see the stop sign that loomed up in front of me. Seconds later, I was flat on my back. :)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One of mine anyways, not the best but here goes...

Was at the early-bird opening at Best Buy on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and we finally got out of the store and we were walking across the parking lot. Needless to say I was really tired from getting up that early and it was pretty freakin' dark and so I didn't notice the five foot drop as we went from one parking lot to the next. I took an un-ceremoniously dive off that cliff. I did manage to put an arm out so I wasn't hurt too bad, but I twisted my ankle a bit...

I have many more, but that is all for now. :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, the first week on the job, doing desktop support. We were doing windows 3.11 to 95 upgrades. Client had to partitions. Forgot to backup the d drive. Couldn't look the client in the face for the next 4 years that I worked there. Another time I was repairing an hp laserjet 4si. Not sure what I did, but a metal opject contacted the fuser and POP went the power. Being that this was the tech room, all of the outlets went out. Nothing like that happening in front of other techs.

Worst thing I ever saw. Friend (who was a weapons smith for the military a long time ago), bought a small tanto sword. He was demonstrating how sharp it was. He went to stab an old ibm pc 350. For those of you who don't know, they are steel cases. Also happens to have a steel bar in the center to secure the pci riser card.

Posted Image

anyway, he stabbed it. naturally he hit the middle right over the steel bar. Knife stopped, but the hand didn't. Had to have 22 stitches in his palm.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Alright, I'll share another...

First time working with any sort of VM environment, I noticed that one of the VM's was acting up and needed to be fixed. Going by what I saw the previous tech do, I preceded to put that VM into 'Maintenance Mode.' Little did I know at the time, that when you put one of the VM's on a server into maintenance mode, that it shuts down every other VM that is currently running on that server as well. Needless to say, the entire file server went down. :)

Lesson learned... :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ewww.... nasty way to learn that.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
My first three wives.

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

My first three wives.

I allways believed that we can learn from our mistakes,but in your case :) :)

Good Luck with your 4 wife :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I allways believed that we can learn from our mistakes,but in your case

No no, I did learn.
I learned that I am the one that was wrong (with 2, and 3)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:):) I'm glad I bumped this topic! :)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Another good one from me.

Was moving and it was early in the day and no one was over yet to help me move, so I figured I'd get a head start. I had a nice 25" Tube TV that was pretty heavy. I figured I could make it up the stairs with no problems. Typical man mentality I s'pose. With only three more steps to go (out of 15) my foot got hung up and I lost my balance. I went head over heels down the stairs. I was at least agile enough to avoid the 75lb TV I was lugging and it didn't crush me but the TV no longer worked from that day forward. I escaped the incident with only a very minor spranged ankle.

Edited by Fenor, 25 September 2008 - 01:12 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I could type for days about stupid things I’ve done, and a lot of them start off with “hey guys watch this”

Years ago I was sitting around a camp fire that had a very large log burning for hours, but the top part had not burned through yet. I said “hey guys watch this” then I jumped up on to the top of the log and started dancing on top of the fire. It was working for a wile and looked really cool… but then the log broke and my leg fell into the fire, to this day I still have a nice scar to remind me :)