Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Audio problem ..

• Please log in to reply

proxim0

proxim0

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, I dont know if anyone can help but I thought I would give this a shot seeing that all the topics I have found on the internet while somewhat helpful did not fix my problem.

Basicly I built a computer using some old parts at home, installed all the drivers etc and booted up. Everything seems to be working fine but the sound will not work, in the hardware settings it shows everything as working propery but when I goto sound from control panal it says no devices for things like sound and mic etc and when I goto the sound box and click on some sounds to try and play then the play icon is grayed out. I tried installing an old sound blaster live card as well after disabling the onbord sound and same thing ?

Could both the onboard and soundblaster be bad ? I thinking of picking up a cheap sound card on my way home but if someone knows how to fix this prob or offer some help that would be awsome .

Thanks !

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. It is possible, although not likely, that both on board audio and the sound card are bad. First, in device manager (go to my computer, right click, properties, hardware, device manager) do you see a yellow ! next to the device? I suspect so. You need to install a driver. Try the on-board first. If that does not work, go into the bios and disable on board, then try the sound card.

You can run Belarc Advisor (search google for it, it is free) to identify your system on board audio components. Once you know the manufacturer, you can go to their site and get the latest driver.