Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro hangs "Loading my Personal Settings" [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hadid

hadid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok...I'm a DBA/Web Developer for a department at my University. When I try to log into my computer at work, it says: "Loading your personal settings..." and just hangs. I can log into safe mode without problems, and everything is fine when I choose a diagnostic startup in msconfig. I need to use a normal startup, however, because I don't think the IIS service is running under the diagnostic startup. Are there any solutions that don't involve reinstalling Windows? I'm concerned about our database and webpage.

Advertisements

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
hi hadid

post a hjt.log and we will take a look

Kc :tazz:

hadid

hadid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm sorry...but I'm not familiar with where to find the hjt.log file. Where would I find it? Do I have to install another program to get it?

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi hadid

Please read this page it will explain how to post a HijackThis log

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

hadid

hadid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the help...I just have one last question before I attempt to run HijackThis. My computer won't get past the "Loading your personal settings..." step after logging into Windows when I have all the services and startup options enabled in msconfig (normal startup). Should I enable them all manually in the diagnostic startup, and run HijackThis in diagnostic startup, or is there another way I should do it?

Thanks again.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi hadid

Please read through the instructions before you start (you may want to print this out).

Please set your system to show all files; please see here if you're unsure how to do this.

Please download and install AD-Aware se.
Click Here on how setup and use it - please make sure you update it first. Don't run yet.

Download Pocket Killbox and unzip it; save it to your Desktop. We may need it later.

Download Ewido Trojan’s and malware remover http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
This setup contains the free as well as the plus-version of the ewido security suite. After the installation, a free 14-day test version containing all the extensions of the plus-version will be activated. At the end of the test phase, the extensions of the plus version are deactivated and the freeware version can be used unlimited times. The purchased license code of the plus version can be entered at any time.
Ewido will auto-udate. Don't run yet

Reboot into Safe Mode: please see here if you are not sure how to do this.

Run Ewido full scan. Save the scan.log and post with the other logs.

Clear out the files in the Prefetch folder. Go to start> run> type into the box Prefetch and delete all the files in that folder.

Run Ad-aware se let it remove all it finds

Clean out temporary and TIF files. Go to Start > Run and type in the box: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure all are checked and then press *ok* to remove:

Reboot as normal.

Reboot as normal.

Please run the following free, online virus scans.
http://www.pandasoft...n_principal.htm
Please post the log From Panda virus scan. We will need them to remove previous infections that have left files on your system.

Run HijackThis and post the new log.

Edited by thatman, 10 August 2005 - 05:34 AM.

hadid

hadid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi thatman, thanks for all the help. I am in the process of running all the scans you suggested, but the free Panda virus scan link is broken, or rather, the download isn't on that page...do you have another link? Thanks a lot.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi hadid

Panda have done a few changes to there site new link below

Please run the following free, online virus scans.
http://enterprises.p...l_companies.htm
Please post the log From Panda virus scan. We will need them to remove previous infections that have left files on your system.

Run HijackThis and post the new log.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.