Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Different DrWatson Debugger Problem

• Please log in to reply

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Last night I installed a new PCI NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 on my system. My uncle and I had quite a time convincing XP to stop automatically searching for and installing drivers for my old integrated Intel card. However, we eventually solved this problem, but now whenever I right click on my desktop, the computer freezes and a moment later the typical error message box pops up saying that Windows Explorer has had to shut, would I like to send a report. Then, after sending the report or not, another one pops up saying that my DrWatson Postmortem Debugger needs to shut. So I either send the report or don't, but the computer never comes back. My mouse still works fine, but I can't do anything but c+a+d and shut down. I have run AdAware and a House Call scan, neither of which showed anything. I have also run my Symantec AntiVirus scan and have McAfee Security Center installed. The other topics I have found that describe my problem are usually rooted down to spyware, and since it just started after installing the new card I really think it is related to that and not spyware. We downloaded the updated drivers from NVIDIA, and I am pretty certain I have all of the settings correct within the program to allow nView options in the desktop right click menu. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated! :tazz:

*EDIT*

Okay, I think I've figured out that my problem is definitely driver related. I created another account to see if the same problem was happening over in it. So, when I logged onto the second account, it reloaded the drivers to my integrated Intel graphics card. Mad, I got out of it and came back over to my main account and of course the drivers were also loaded there. Now both cards seem to be functioning together. I can right click my desktop and it registers the menu features of the NVidia card, but my Intel Extreme Graphics is in the tool tray. I opened my Sims 2 game (one of my main reasons for wanting the new graphics card) and from what I could tell it was running fine and off of the 3D card. The only problem was, I used to be able to change camera angels by holding down the wheel of my mouse and now I can't. I guess my two main questions are 1) is there a problem with leaving both cards installed and 2) since I would prefer not to do that, is there anyway I can solve the original problem? Are there other drivers I need to get rid of? When I visited my device manager *before the reinstall of the drivers* there were still tons of other things listed as "Intel R" that were not under display controls.

Edited by AffirmationChick, 09 August 2005 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you check the bios to see if you could disable your onboard vid card?

During start up and before the windows splash screen, repeatedly hit the delete, F1, or F10 key. This should get you to the bios screen. Navigate through the bios and check for options pertaining to your onboard video... and disable it if you can, or change the order of selection the bios makes for use of video cards. Save and exit the bios.
Note... be careful not to change too many things in the bios, or your computer will have to be reset.

makai

Edited by makai, 09 August 2005 - 07:28 PM.

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I've never really messed in my BIOS before. But I ran Everest and it looks like some other stuff is run by Intel (obviously my processor... and it's saying my IDE Controller). Will it be "obvious" which files are video and which are other? I know how important this stuff is so I don't want to do anything wrong :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You really can mess up the bios if you're not careful. But you can't damage it by changing things.

Run Everest and post your specs... especially your motherboard make and model and the type of bios that's being used... it may be Award, Phoenix, etc. Once I know that, I can look up your bios and let you know what to do.

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name MRCOMPUTER (Steeny's Pooter)
User Name Steeny

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
Motherboard Name Asus Kirin-V
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GV
System Memory 503 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (01/08/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller (64 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Monitor Default Monitor (8050307)
Monitor Sony HMD-A240 [17" CRT] (8050307)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST3120023A (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive ASUS CD-S400/A (40x CD-ROM)
Optical Drive TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5002 (DVD:2x/1x/12x, CD:16x/10x/40x DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 15366 MB (5927 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 93973 MB (58454 MB free)
Total Size 106.8 GB (62.9 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2

Network:
Network Adapter Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster (192.168.2.102)
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Modem Agere Systems AC'97 Modem

Peripherals:
Printer EPSON Stylus C62 Series
Printer EPSON Stylus Photo RX600
Printer Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - USB Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your motherboard is not listed on the Asus site... nor does it have many hits on Google. This is sort or the "norm" for OEM manufactures. Specs are scarce! Who is the OEM manufacture... is it Sony? Do you know the model number. Any information would be helpful as we must somehow track the manual down that shows the bios screenshots.

If that turns out to be impossible, then you will just have to enter into the bios and search for an entry regarding video adapters. It should have a choice of which display adapter to use first. Also try to find an entry where you can disable the on-board adapter.

If you enter bios, you will not change anything unless you "purposely" save the settings and exit. So... it is quite safe to go in there and look around as long as you don't save any changes.

Edited by makai, 09 August 2005 - 10:32 PM.

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have a Sony Vaio PCV RS220. It's a little over two years old. When I finish up what I'm doing now, I'll see about poking around a little bit in the BIOS and see what I can find :tazz:

Edited by AffirmationChick, 09 August 2005 - 10:59 PM.

DNABigDaddy

DNABigDaddy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have had the same problem as you for a while now. The one with the IE shutting down and then with the DR Watson debugger shutting down.
I found that if you go into the Windows task manager and go into Processes you can find drwatson32.exe and EndProcess. That will unfreeze your desktop and give you back your computer.
I have also noticed that when you do this in the Procesess window there will be 2 DR Watsons running. I dont knwo if this is a the probelm or a problem or just the way it runs.
It has finnally driven me crazy so i am searching of how to fix this problem. THe problem started for even before i put my new GPU in so i dont know about the drivers effecting it but i am searching. :tazz:

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
With it being such a frustrating problem, sorry you're going through it but yay for someone else experiencing it! lol Thank you for the wonderful tip of shutting it in the processes. Mine also begins running two and will come back if I shut both. Still haven't gotten in the bios since I just got back from not being able to get online. I'll let you know if I find anything!