Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse acting straNGELY

• Please log in to reply

steviek

steviek

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Runinng XP, when my daughter logs in the mouse needs a large exxaggeration to move. eg move the mouse 3 ft it move an inch. When I log in the mouse runs normally. It also runs normally when you pick a place to log in. It seems only when under daughter's profi;le do we get this problem. I have just upgraded to Sp2 and also did a clean, and virus, spam removal using the procedure outlined in one of the forums.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of problem??? Help in resolving it is also appreciated.
:tazz:
Another problem were having with this computer is trying to get the firewall to work. When I press the firewall icon in the control panel I get "Due to an unidentified problem, Win dows can not display Windows Firewall settings"

Advertisements

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello there,

Check to see if your mouse speed is lowered to the point where it moves at a slow rate. To check this click Control Panel (make sure the "classic view" is on)>Mouse>Pointer Options and look under "Motion" and make sure it's set high enough.

Hope this helps,
Matt

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi Stevie.
Did you try what Fallout suggested about going to Control Panel and right clicking and opening Mouse?

I checked mine and in the Pointer Options, it is set right in the middle
between slow and fast...Also a check mark is in the box: 'enhanced pointer precision'.

Another little suggestion that is SO IMPORTANT for us that have a mouse with a ball;

When my curser is NOT co-operating it is because there is lint on the rollers.
That makes it roll very JERKY.....

Take off the back by turning counter clock wise....Take out the ball and look
inside... OFTEN the two rollers have lint rolled around on them...Remove it with the tip of a pen or your fingernail...BLOW HARD IN IT...Put the ball back inside and the bottom back on and see if that helps it run a little smoother.

Sincerely, Janie :tazz:

P.S. Editing here with another thought...When you are checking mouse speed in the control panel, check and see what the wheel is set on...Mine is 4...that is how many lines it will skip with one notch turn of the wheel...Your daughter may be using the wheel whereas you aren't? And maybe it is set to skip a lot of lines at one slight turn?

Edited by fflowergirl, 09 August 2005 - 08:49 PM.

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank-you for the replies. :tazz:
However, this is not the problem--speed is set to high. Also, I forgot to mention but I have an optical mouse. It is only a problem when my daughter's profile is log in. In everyother profile, and when in nio profile, the mouse behaves correctly.

Regards

Steve ;)

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Did you check the mouse settings on your daughters profile. Dont check the mouse settings for the ones that are working properly. Hope this helps.

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yes, actually I,ve changed them to the fastest options--eg 100 lines from 3 lines on mine and fast speed, etc, with no visible change to her activity of the mouse.

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've noticed this occurs when my daughter logs on, and full functionallity is resotred as soon as she logs off. I tried to suppress all the start up programs, however this didn't help

Any ideas???

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Did you install any drivers for the mouse or have downloaded and software for the mouse?

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I finally found the problem!!! It was the enhanced pointer tghat was checked. Once I unchecked that the mouse works fine. Not sure why that would slow thew mouse so much, but OH WELL!!!
Thanks everyone for your help

Regards

Steve

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
That was nice of you to let us know the solution to your MOUSE problem.

Thanks Stevie. :)

So often, the solution is NOT a complicated way to fix the problem but, as in your case,
something was checked that shouldn't have been checked. :tazz:

Sincerely, Janie :)