Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp recognizes my burner incorrectly

• Please log in to reply

shadyghost

shadyghost

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys (and gals),

Quick overview. I own a dvd/cd combo burner which is pretty new. It has worked flawlessly for five or six months up until very recently. All of a sudden it failed to read cdrw's or burn them. If I pop in a cdr it continuously tries to read it to no avail. The drive will read cd's (just not cdr media) and dvd's and will burn dvd's as well so I know its not a hardware issue. I have updated the firmware, I have updated the adaptec crap (I forget what the drivers are called) and have tried pretty much everything to fix this.

Here's what I got.

Win xp pro sp2
Samsung ts-h552b dvdrw/cdrw
Asus mother board (p4p800 - e)
Pentium 4 1.6
512 memory

Here's what I've tried and discovered.

Windows xp is listing two devices in device manager for cddrives even though I've only got one drive plugged in. Xp device manager lists:

Generic Dvd-Rom Scsi cdrom device
(even though I have no scsi drive!)

and Tsstcorp cd/dvdw ts-h552
(I cannot remember if this is what it used to be, I'm assuming not)

Iv'e uninstalled both rebooted. I've uninstalled the IDE second controller rebooted. I've followed microsoft's xp article on how to edit the registry by deleting the filters to fix something like this caused by uninstalling a burning program and rebooted. I've followed some other articles editing the registry I didnt really understand and rebooted then restored the registry. I've uninstalled Nero and any other burning software I happened to own rebooted then installed nero and rebooted. I've rebooted just to reboot and then rebooted and still nothing.

I don't remember what I did to cause this to happen but it could be anything because I install and uninstall alot. Who knows. So if any one can help I would really really love you for it. I'm off to bed, its late and I'm sick of my computer (and rebooting, seriously) Thanks again. :tazz:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, just a small question that sounds stupid, are you still using the same cd-r as before the problem because some burners are choosy, I think it is the settings and if you cannot change them and if no one comes up with a better idea, remove, put back and reinstall the burner might be the best bet.

Edited by fleamailman, 10 August 2005 - 12:24 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Generic Dvd-Rom Scsi cdrom device
(even though I have no scsi drive!)

View Post

Do u some CD-Emulation software like Alcohol or VirtualCD
If yes, Uninstall it temporarily and check if the problem continues with ur real CD-RW drive.

shadyghost

shadyghost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey thanks for the replies guys. Just wanted to say that I have done both of those suggestions to no avail. I uninstalled and disconnected the drive completely very early on in the process with no luck and yesterday one of the last things I did was uninstall daemon tools. So both of those things were great suggestions but don't seem to affect the problem. Sigh. I wonder if I will have to reinstall windows xp. Any other ideas guys.

Oh and I've used every kind of cdr imaginable. The drive was burning the cdr brand (memorex) great and then the next thing I know it won't even look at them. It's definately software related because before this I had zero issues and the drive will read regular cd's.

Edited by shadyghost, 10 August 2005 - 05:44 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry, my last suggestion but if you have a second computer I would try seeing if the drive is dead by attaching it there, no need to screw it in though just turn the computer on its side, place the bad drive on a bit of cardboard and attatch up the wires, if it works you will know that it is worth continuing the thread here, if not...
anyway, good luck then.

Edited by fleamailman, 10 August 2005 - 09:10 AM.

shadyghost

shadyghost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well after trying it out on another computer as suggested by fleamailman I discovered windows recognizes the drive exactly the same as my computer. This is really annoying because I really doubt its hardware seeing as it reads cds fine. It just refuses to be recognized as a cdrw. Who knows at anyrate I'm sorry I can't help anyone out who is beyond warrenty coverage. I have a few months to go so I guess Im lucky. I called customer support and they seemed to not have a problem with giving me a xma number. I just hope the drive lasts longer than my last! Thanks for the help guys.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Talked with a workmate in the shop, seems some ms update has an effect a certain type of cd drive and that removing the little slave/master pastic jumper cures it, probably a red herring but...

shadyghost

shadyghost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I will definately try it. I'll let you know. Thanks