Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OLEAUT32.DLL ? error message

• Please log in to reply

sillyaussie

sillyaussie

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When you open internet explorer, it says microsoft internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
If you try to use msn messenger it says The MSNMSGR.EXE is linked to missing export OLEAUT32.DLL.176
Then it says c:/program files/msn messenger/ msnmsgr.exe
a device attached to the system is not functioning.
what does all this mean? what can i do?
We have recently had the browser hijacked, is it connected as our home page is msn?

we can only access certain pages on the web.
have used adaware, spybot, cw shredder, until five minutes ago had avg antivirus but was getting a similar warning message so i removed it and i have sygate firewall, so i have tried everything i know. :tazz:
It is now stopping us from using adaware, it says loader error the procedure entry point VarNot could not be located in the dynamic link library OLEAUT32.DLL

Edited by sillyaussie, 09 August 2005 - 11:24 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
To start with you can run system file checker. Just go Start>Run, type in sfc and hit OK and follow the screen. It should replace your bad copy of the file. You may need to put your restore CD in the drive.

sillyaussie

sillyaussie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
First thanks for helping me.I did what you suggested and the sfc identified file:USER.EXE location:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM After selecting restore file I put in disk and from browse clicked on Win98 FormatDisc (D:),clicked ok and got "the file was not found verify that you have selected the correct restore from location and try again. So, with sfc ,under scan for altered file is" extract one file from installation disk" and I typed in user.exe and it was not found.Then used browse and the closest were the following user.dat, user.tom and UserMigratedStore_59R.bin. Now this is all greek to me so I can only hope I'm giving you the right information to be able to help me and hope to hear from you soon :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have a computer maker's disk you may need to follow a different procedure to restore a file. But you may have a win98 folder in C: with installation files, or C:\windows\options\cabs folder. Or you may have a win98 folder on your CD, sometimes it is quite buried. You can point to the win98 or cabs folder and it should work. If you can borrow a Microsoft CD from someone you can point to the win 98 folder in it. Sorry it's so complicated but they do things any number of ways.

dtromsr

dtromsr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
There's a web site that just might beable to help with your missing dll's. Its dll-files.com please read the instructions before u download. I was missing one for the scanner on my printer & this helped me out. Now my scanner is working again. Check with geeks to go for their input on this & see what they think about this.

sillyaussie

sillyaussie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well tyger followed instructions and it said problem is fixed (not windows exact wording) and to restart.Did that and got the same original message.Any more ideas?What about the site, dll-files.com that has been suggested?