Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP pavilion 442.uk windows xp crash

• Please log in to reply

sheil

sheil

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HP pavilion 442.uk AMD Athlon XP 1800 256Mb RAM 40Gb WesternDigital HDD XP Home.

I have been given this pc to look at because it will not boot up into windows - reaches the BSOD page fault in non paged area and restarts. Using the XP installation disk results in the same screen after selecting R for recovery console or pressing enter to install windows.

Using an emergency boot disk and fdisk the partition info shows the C partition 1 to be the HP recovery section and C partition 2 to be NTFS, the active partition where XP is installed.

Using the DOS dir command to view the files on the C drive only results in the directory listing of the HP recovery section. The other files/directories are not visible.

Does anyone know how I can view the rest of the files and gain access to the windows directory?

BTW the HP recovery section appears to be corrupt - there is no response when trying the F12 key during boot up.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
This BSoD, is commanly caused due to damaged RAM.
Lets scan ur RAM for any damage first.
Download, burn and run memtest86 (Bootable ISO version)

Edited by darth_ash, 10 August 2005 - 05:24 AM.

sheil

sheil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, will try this and get back to you

sheil

sheil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've run the memory test - its well through the fifth cycle without any errors.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u boot into safemode?
This BSoD can also be caused by some Rootkits; Download RootkitRevealer and run a scan in safemode.
If RootkitRevealer does find something, u will have to make a visit to our Malware Removal Forums.

This BSoD can also be caused by damaged Video-Card.
Can u try another Video-Card on ur system.

Have u recently installed any new hardware?

This BSoD can also be caused due to a faulty driver. Open Device Manger in safemode. Look "!" or "?" icons in front of any listed device.

P.S: Please, keep in mind there is a wide range of possiblities for this error. We will have to analyze each one.

sheil

sheil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks darth_ash. Unfortunately I can't get to safe mode. Nor can I get to the drive when slaving it on another machine - it causes the host machine to go into the constant reboot cycle. I have tried slaving it on two different ones - the celeron host machine gives the same BSod, the Athlon causes the reboot without displaying the BSod.

I can try another video card. There have been no recent hardware changes. I don't know what happened prior to the fault developing. The pc belongs to a friend and he reckons his younger brother was using it. Unfortunately he won't admit to it so we have know way of telling exactly what happened.

sheil

sheil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
changing video card hasn't made any difference

sheil

sheil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Any ideas, please...