Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIG OOPS!

• Please log in to reply

Frost18

Frost18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all im new here and i was wondering if u all could help ... i accidentally deleted my rundll32.exe file and i guess i needed that to open some files ... i didnt know... but i was wondering if u all know of any way to get that back on my computer?? any help would b great thanx!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's in one of the cabinet files in your installation disk. You will need to extract it to the Windows folder. Maybe someone here has a list of the files in the cabinets and could tell us which one to look in.

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
What is your OS??? Depending to your OS, you need to locate (**) your windows system folder (e.g., c:\windows\system32; c:\winnt, etc)

IF your system cab files are located on the drive (e.g., c:\windows\options\cabs), they can be located as follows:
goto dos (START>RUN>"command"); enter "cd\"; enter "dir /s *.cab"

If applicable, move to the directory where the windows cabinet files are located (e.g., "cd c:\windows\options\cabs"), and use the DOS EXTRACT command to locate the cab file with your rundll32.exe file...(e.g., EXTRACT /A /D *.cab rundll32.exe).

To reload (extract) the missing file enter to a specific (**) system folder/location via the "EXTRACT" command (eg., extract /a /l c:\windows\system32 c:\windows\options\cabs\win98_21.cab rundll32.exe).

see http://www.helpdesk....windows_9x/548/ as an example...

Alternately, you may be able to use the SFC (system file checker) command...

P2E