Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply

missakademic

missakademic

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recently, I have been getting the following error message "Boot Failure: Please select proper boot media and press any key to continue". This message is preceeded by a message upon bootup that says "Media test failure: Check cable"... I am not sure what is going on. After reading a few posts on this site, I am wondering if the cables to my HDD are loose. I havent been traveling with my computer (Averatec 3100 series laptop) so I am not sure what the deal is. I received this message before (about 1 month ago) and it went away after I let the computer "rest". I tried to reboot using the recovery disks and my computer wont take that either. What do I do? Any assistance would be appreciated. :tazz:

Thanks~

Advertisements

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I am not very familiar with your particular brand, but is it possible to pop the hard drive out and back in? I know that on dell laptops all you need to do is take out one screw to remove/replace the HDD.

-Matt

missakademic

missakademic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Matt~

Question: Will doing this cause any of my data to be lost??? Why do you think this happened (Just curious).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check your boot order in bios... make sure that "network boot" isn't first..basically make sure that the hd is first unless you have a floppy drive...or reset the bios to default

missakademic

missakademic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Again~
Will I lose any of my data on the HDD if I take it out and reconnenct it?
Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...a hard drive stores information magnetically...the data is indipendant of electrical activity

SwampGator

SwampGator

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sounds to me like your hard drive may be about to bite the dust. On Dells this happens from heat and leaving them on all the time.

missakademic

missakademic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the suggestions~

I disconnected and reconnected my HDD and the issue has NOT been resolved. I really do not know what to do. I really want to try to save my computer so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what is your boot order in bios

missakademic

missakademic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I believe that the boot order it HDD then CD/DVD drive. I tried to switch it to have it boot off of the CD (when I was trying to use the recovery CDs) and that didnt work either. I still got the "Media test failure, check cable".

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check your cd rom cables

missakademic

missakademic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK. I will give that a try. We will see what happens. If that doesnt work, what else can you suggest??? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
[edit]

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 12:52 PM.

missakademic

missakademic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hmmm... is that supposed to be a joke? Not appreciated... I am seriously trying to fix my computer. if there is nothing else that I can do... that is all you needed to say.

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
lol. The hammer does come in handy.

Your hard drive is most likely bad. If you don't know how to change it and/or don't have the software to do the job, you will need to have a technician do it for you. In many cases, if your hard drive is bad, your data won't be recoverable.