Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use DSL after XP repair

• Please log in to reply

magnus27

magnus27

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I am hoping that someone here can help me out. Yesterday I had a major issue with my PC and ended up having to reinstall XP from disk. Now I am unable to connect to my DSL. I will try to give any info I can that may help identify the problem. Since the reinstall my xp has had some issues. For instance system restore will not open. I am unable to open the xp help.exe. My ethernet card appears to be in working order, and it says that I am connected when I plug the cable in. But internet explorer, messengers and online games tell me I am not connected. When I try to setup a connection through my router it can't connect. I plugging in directly to the dsl modem and connecting. This time it says it connects, but once again games, iexplorer, and messengers respond like I am offline. Before my major computer trouble yesterday I never had any problems. If anyone can give me any ideas I will be very greatful. Thanks.

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Are you sure the DSL is working right? Turn off the computer and the modem. If there is a reset button on the modem push that. Turn back on the modem and look for a ready light. Make sure you know that the modem is working. Look to make sure that it is recieving and sending information. Turn on the computer and see what happens. Good luck! :tazz:

Edited by paulcomputerman, 11 August 2005 - 05:10 PM.