Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SWAT 4 has spyware...

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
http://nationalcheeseemporium.org/

Have a look at what publishers will be invading your privacy.
http://www.massivein...d.com/index.htm

Edited by Metalive, 10 August 2005 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Shocking utterly shocking, would be more annoyed by such an intrusion except for the fact that the advert was for BSG for one of the posters and i love BSG so i wouldnt have minded that advert.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The adverts themselves are merely just distracting annoyances. It's the information gathered and sent that is what is so frightening.

"A single HTTP request is sent by our game client to signify that the game has ended. A timestamp and our session/gamer ids are sent. This sort of information gives the advertisers a more complete idea of how long we play, and at what times of the day, and enough information for them to calculate any patterns."

"The client contacted madserver to tell the advertisers how long the gamer spent with each advert in their view. This is mapped to the gamer id, so they know which player in the game saw the advert, and when, for how long, and from how far away (by virtue of the size attribute). Even the average viewing angle is passed back."

If this catches on, which it will, I think the gaming industry is in serious trouble.

Edited by Metalive, 10 August 2005 - 05:38 PM.

Caljif

Caljif

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
out of curiousity wat the [bleep] is the point in them buggering things up apart from to lose lots of money and have a riot stamping on them

Zero Hour

Zero Hour

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is bad!! I cant save the prevention thing, it asls for me to save as a txt document instead of adding it?!!?:

127.0.0.1 madserver.net
127.0.0.1 ad.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 imp.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 media.madserver.net

Any Help?