Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(REVISED:Why does my start tool bar disappear?

• Please log in to reply

davemendoza

davemendoza

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I apologize for PMing the moderator to his reply directly, I honestly couldn't find the reply button to post to the forum itself initially. Honest error.

Today I bought spydoctor and downloaded it hearing excellent things about it and likewise I "compacted" the registry through registry mechanic (by squeezing out extra unused space which is an option, first time I tried it) which has worked well to date otherwise.

Today however I noticed after these two events that if I left the computer for a bit the start button tool bar at bottom of screen disappeared rendering it difficult to open programs or even shut down .... how can I check in on this issue, correct it, or at least get the tool bar in question to reappear without having to do a manual unsafe shut down?

By start button tool bar I mean the start button on bottom left corner as well as the entire bar with it that shows what programs are up and the system tray at right as well.

This just suddenly disappeared and never did that before

When I do shut it down by pulling the switch when I restart it looks fine again, but this has happened twice now today.

I tried the suggestion you made clicking the windows and arrow and enter button and that did not work.

I went to the site suggested and found that my firewall (the basic windows version) was too transparent and leaking. I have tried prior firewall, I think Norton;s and it was a miserable experience because it shut off my email via outlook from getting through. I know I need one and hope after I solve this problem I can get suggestions to ensure my next firewall download will be a positive experience all the way around.

As for this issue I know I have a big problem. I have seen other posts on google, which were admittedly few, like 4 or 5 and I have yet to see a viable solution other than reformmatting teh disk which I sure do not want to do!

Perhaps whien I downloaded spydoctor it triggered the defense mechanism of this malware or virus and this is the result? When I first scanned with it it found 300 or so infections. It was thorough. It was after I took oiff on an errand that this taskbar issue popped up. THe spydoctor wil no longer work. It will start scanning and then towards the end a window pops up saying "ERROR DLL ..... C0000006" then I click ok and teh scan stops. I tried scanning with Ewido and AntiVir amd Spybot and those are acting odd too because they are now coming up with far less infections then they did prior, but their scans do run through their course ...but slowly.

HELP

Any suggestions?

Edited by davemendoza, 11 August 2005 - 08:41 AM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Alternate way to bring up [START MENU]:

1 - Press [WINDOWS] Key - It is located between [CTRL] Key & [ALT] Key.
2 - Then Press [UP] Arrow to Highlight [TASK]
3 - Then Press [ENTER]

As far as the hiding - I think there is a "HIDE OPTION" - not sure where it is - (Off-Hand) - but I will Post when I do - OR perhaps a Staff Member may know off-hand & Post the process, now.

Jack123

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Once you see the taskbar, right click on it and select "Properties".. Make sure the "Hide Taskbar" is unchecked!!

Murray