Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No HPA Drive Enabled

• Please log in to reply

caadlers

caadlers

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I can't start windows. Everything was fine. Turned on machine, went online, ran intelligent updater for Norton antivirus, looked at email, didn't open any attachments, looked at movie listings, got off line,walked away and came back to a black screen saying "verifying DMI Pool Data" and then "No HPA Enable Drive, Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press any key". I can't restart with ctrl .alt. delete, and can only turn it off with power butoon. When I turn it back on it goes immediately to the black screeen saying the same thing about DMI poooldata, and no HPA enabled drive.
I did refer to the article on repairing XP but I couldn't get it to work . I put in windows cd and then i get a blue screen saying that "setup is loading files" at the bottom of the screen. The top of the screeen says "windows set up" and after files are loaded or so it seems, it just sits there making a kind of clicking noise every other second.

I did set bios to boot with the CD. Of course I have some generic computer about 3 years old (ABS from buyabs.com) and a windows recovery cd from Magnell running XP media center edition (this is what i tried to use to boot). I also have flopppy "restoration disk" that says it "may be used to reinstall windows., but that all od data on the C:/ partition will be totally erased." (By the way I do have a D:/ back up drive).

I can't boot into safe mode, I can get at BIOS and F9 gives me express recovery menu, but it sounded like it might delete everything also. One option in this F9 screen sounded like it was for a safe mode boot, but nothing happens when I click it.

I got desperate and tried booting with the restoration floppy but now it makes this rapid clicking noise that sounds like it is the fan hitting something else. So I aborted that attempt since it sounds worse then ever.

I saw something here or on another site about hooking this hard drive to another as a "slave" and copying files?? If this is correct, how would I do this? I am much more concerned about getting my documents and pictures off the hard drive (of course I have no recent backup except on the D drive), than I about the long term health of this compute. It has given me a lot of trouble. I do have another desktop and a lap top.

Also, I run or did run, when it was working, Norton Anti virus daily (with intelligent updater new defs. a couple of times a week), Ad AWare, Spybot, Microsoft Antispy, and I have a norton firewall so I thought i was pretty well protected in that way.

Help, Help, Help. and Thank you so much in advance.

caadlers

Advertisements

caadlers

caadlers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Have to go out of town unexpectedly. I'll repost when I get back.
I appreciatee the help.

caadlers

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I can't start windows. Everything was fine.  Turned on machine, went online, ran intelligent updater for Norton antivirus, looked at email, didn't open any attachments, looked at movie listings, got off line,walked away and came back to a black screen saying "verifying DMI Pool Data" and then "No HPA Enable Drive, Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press any key".  I can't restart with ctrl .alt. delete, and can only turn it off with power butoon.  When I turn it back on it goes immediately to the black screeen saying the same thing about DMI poooldata, and no HPA enabled drive.
I did refer to the article on repairing XP but I couldn't get it to work .  I put in windows cd and then i get a blue screen saying that "setup is loading files" at the bottom of the screen.  The top of the screeen says "windows set up" and after files are loaded or so it seems, it just sits there making a kind of clicking noise every other second.

I did set bios to boot with the CD.  Of course I have some generic computer about 3 years old (ABS from buyabs.com) and a windows recovery  cd from Magnell running XP media center edition (this is what i tried to use to boot).  I also have flopppy "restoration disk"  that says it "may be used to reinstall windows., but that all od data on the C:/ partition will be totally erased." (By the way I do have a  D:/ back up drive).

I can't boot into safe mode, I can get at BIOS and F9 gives me express recovery menu, but it sounded like it might delete everything also.  One option in this F9 screen sounded like it was for a safe mode boot, but nothing happens when I click it.

I got desperate and tried booting with the restoration floppy but now it makes this rapid clicking noise that sounds like it is the fan hitting something else.  So I aborted that attempt since it sounds worse then ever.

I saw something here or on another site about hooking this hard drive to another as a "slave" and copying files??  If this is correct, how would I do this?  I am much more concerned about getting my documents and pictures off the hard drive (of course I have no recent backup except on the D drive), than I about the long term health of this compute.  It has given me a lot of trouble. I do have another desktop and a lap top.

Also, I run or did run, when it was working, Norton Anti virus daily (with intelligent updater new defs. a couple of times a week), Ad AWare, Spybot, Microsoft Antispy, and I have a norton firewall so I thought i was pretty well protected in that way.

Help, Help, Help.  and Thank you so much in advance.

caadlers

View Post

i think that this might have happened because of the update for Norton.

caadlers

caadlers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I want to re-open this topic and ask again for help. The problem is the same as before, but I will be around now so I can try any fixes you may come up with. Thank you so much for any help you can give. We fear for the files on our harddrive.

Thanks again, caadlers

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I got desperate and tried booting with the restoration floppy but now it makes this rapid clicking noise that sounds like it is the fan hitting something else. So I aborted that attempt since it sounds worse then ever.

where was this clickiing sound coming from...the hd or the floppy? if it was comming from the hd then one of your read/write heads probably came off the arm...in which case that drive is dead...

caadlers

caadlers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
there are actually 2 types of clicking noises going on: 1 near the floppy drive (even without a floppy in there) and it sounds like "click clock" pause, "click clock" etc. and this has been going on since I started having problems starting up windows.

the other is a constant clicking noise coming from the top of the computer which sounds like tick, tick, tick, etc. rapidly like there is something hitting a fan. this is the noise that just started happening and happens whenever i turn on the computer now.

ok here is an obviously stupid question with an obvious answer: if the hd is dead then there is nothing I can do?

thanks for the help.
caadlers

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if that is indead a head commin off of your drive.....then you should not use the drive..you can use a reputable data recovery company if that information is truly important...but i haven't seen any prices less than 500 dollars...so.....if that noise is indeed coming fron the hd (open the case and put your ear on the drive)...then...i'm sorry

infirondog

infirondog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey caad,
Ihave the same prob and i think it is due to your bios update. I cant be sure but this is my thought. I will let you as the sogga unfolds. You might want to do bios recovery or redownload bios and reflash. and check to see if alot of other people are havving the same prob with that bios ver. This is what Im going to do, you might want to wait till i have results. Good luck...

caadlers

caadlers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks dsenette and infirondog- i'll look into both of your suggestions-i appreciate the help

caadlers