Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system32\drivers\Ntfs.sys

• Please log in to reply

blurblur

blurblur

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I restarted my computer after downloading some automatic security updates, and when I came back into my room the screen was black with some white text that read:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt system32\drivers\Ntfs.sys

It also says I can try repairing it by reinstalling everything, but I don't know where the CDs that came with my computer are.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm not good with computers but I can follow directions. I don't have the money to have it fixed by someone else right now, so I really need to do this at home, with somebodies help.

Advertisements

Asylum

Asylum

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Without the cd, maybe a quick fix would be to run the system restore and go back to a time before you downloaded the the security updates.

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
how?

I can't get passed the black startup screen btw, I'm on my brother's computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot, keep tapping the F8 key until you get options

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

Does your brother have XP

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok good news and bad news. I found the reinstallation cd, I did the system restore, but I'm getting the same problem still.

I can't restart my computer anyways. I can shut it off by the button, but I can't click start/shutdown/reboot because all that I can do is turn on the computer and get a black screen with white text.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this:

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, last in list is probably the one to go for

Try this if the repair options won't run

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'll try those later if this new info I have doesn't help(because those look really complicated to me, I might screw it up)

I did a system restore again, rebooted. The message still appeared. I rebooted. Still there. I rebooted. Still there. I kept rebooting and for some reason my computer worked, then froze and shut down after I registered it (you know when you buy a new computer and type in the computer's name and your info etc). I rebooted and it was messed up again. I rebooted...still messed up. I rebooted a bunch of times, until it worked. Now I'm here on the "broken" computer typing this. So its working, but its definitely not fixed. I know its going to either freeze up and shut down again, or not work on the next reboot.

Edited by blurblur, 10 August 2005 - 11:58 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar.

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I actually don't have a windows xp cd. I have a "emachines restore dvd" version 1.0
T3256

On it, it says "The restore dvd is provided by emachines and gives a complete backup of the software that was preinstalled on the PC at the factory. Should the software ever need to be reinstalled, the restore dvd will copy the neccessary files onto the hard drive. THE DVD WILL ONLY WORK WITH EMACHINES PC. Keep the restore dvd and all emachines computer documentation in a safe place"

same thing?

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh and I did that command, it didnt say if everything was in its right place or not, it just did the scan and closed itself.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you still have the corrupt driver message, click start, run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

It will take an hour to run this, do not disturb.

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It says I can't because its in use. It asks me if it can start on the next reboot, which I say yes to. I reboot but like I mentioned the problem comes back and I have to reboot like 20+ times before the computer will work.

Nothing happened when the reboot finally worked.

Edited by blurblur, 11 August 2005 - 01:50 AM.

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
maybe this a dumb question, but couldn't I just download a new system32\drivers\Ntfs.sys file?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the correct set of boot disks

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

it should get you beyond where the XP CD stalls

blurblur

blurblur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't think my computer has a floppy disk drive, hehe...unless floppy disk drives smaller now, because my computer has a few openings on the front but they are ports I think. If it does and they just look different then what they used to, I don't have any floppy disks either.

Edited by blurblur, 11 August 2005 - 09:38 AM.