Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox's memory usage

• Please log in to reply

izzy1333

izzy1333

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Its not designed for such long periods of operation most software isnt, you should turn off your pc whenever its not going to be in use for more than half an hour.

View Post

If a software is well designed, it should not matter how long a person has it open for.

Firefox does use a lot of memory and that is ridiculous. For just one tab Firefox uses 49,000 K on my computer. Luckily I have 1.25 GB of installed memory

A few times I have had Firefox crash and have had to kill the process manually. Don’t know what the problem is or how to report it.

Edited by izzy1333, 24 August 2005 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

pau1

pau1

• Pip
  • 2 posts

[...]discovered that Firefox will simply eat up all the memory it can get over time.
As expected, when you open a page it will claim the nessacery memory to do what you have asked for it, and opening more tabs will consequently cause a jump in memory usage to display more pages. However upon closing these tabs, it doesn't seem to free up all of  the memory it has initially claimed. [...]
I ended up with 3 pages open, and the total claiming 370,000 k just to run one download and read some comics![...]
Let me know if my problem is plagueing you too, and if you've found a creative solution. Thanks in advance
-Dave

View Post

If a software is well designed, it should not matter how long a person has it open for.
Firefox does use a lot of memory and that is ridiculous. For just one tab Firefox uses 49,000 K on my computer. Luckily I have 1.25 GB of installed memory
A few times I have had Firefox crash and have had to kill the process manually. Don’t know what the problem is or how to report it.

View Post

I completely agree with the two guys above. And I was curious to find out if someone else has this problem too.
Some weeks ago I wanted to give Firefox a try. I have nothing to complain about IE except that it can't save some web pages and there is NO solution for that (off-topic: someone smart please tell me how can I save using IE6 this page: http://www.linux.ro/...m=1&topic=11294 ).
Anyway... after using Firefox for one ot two weeks I had to give up. After only 6 hours of browsing it was using almost 200 MB. OK, I have this "bad" (?) habbit of opening a lot of tabs (or windows in IE). For example if I search someting in Google I open 10 or more results in new windows in order to see which of them contain the info I need. After reading them I close the ones that I dont need.
Using IE6 I always have 10 or more windows open and I never had problems with this (it seems IE6 can handle up to 30 windows on my system).
But Firefox, even if I'm careful and try not to "abuse", really manges to bring my system down after only a few hours of browsing. Using a lot of windows is not an excuse for poor memory management. So I'm giving up this poor excuse of a browser (i mean Firefox).
Hmm... But I still cant save some php forum pages in IE6.... I guess I still have to wait for the perfect browser for me.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I also agree with the three guys above! How do you solve this problem? This is the only thing I hate about FireFox that is why I am going to change to Opera or Netscape!
RockyIV

pau1

pau1

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I also agree with the three guys above! How do you solve this problem? This is the only thing I hate about FireFox that is why I am going to change to Opera or Netscape!
RockyIV

View Post

Be warned though... If I am not wrong Firefox/Mozzila are kind of Netscape-based... or vice-versa... I think Mozilla was an older and free version of Netscape. So Netscape might have the same problem(s) or even more of them.

Thanks for remainding me about opera lol... I remember I liked it.... excepting that its not free... I just read a few minutes ago about their 10th aniversary- they gave free Opera registrations (DA*N!!!)... Too bad that was 2 days ago and its over. :tazz: (see http://my.opera.com/...y/party/reg.dml )

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

I just read a few minutes ago about their 10th aniversary- they gave free Opera registrations (DA*N!!!)... Too bad that was 2 days ago and its over. :) (see http://my.opera.com/...y/party/reg.dml )

View Post

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :) :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I was one of the luckly ones when it come to the 10th aniversary, I got the 7 free registrations, one for windows, one for Mac, three for Linux, one for freeBDS and one for Solaris (what ever that is). I was wondering since it come up here weather I should use them and get Opera, never seen a computer with Opera on it, so should I use it.

EDIT: I love how I get seven, one for every operating system I could ever get.

EDIT2: Never had FireFox go over that 50mb mark, ever.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 02 September 2005 - 06:32 PM.

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
The Firefox memory leak has been around for a good long time, with no real fix. I DID however find this bit of info a while back, and it seems to have done the trick. You can just delete the entry if it causes problems.
Origonal Source

Firefox Memory Leaks/Other Issues.

So if you've used Firefox you've probably noticed that it suffers from what can be described as a fairly harsh "memory leak". The main cause of the problem appears to lie within the plugin for Flash content. There are 2 workarounds that I've located.

The first is rather straightforward and simple but wasn't practical for me. All you have to do is un-install/remove the flash plugin and performance increases significantly.

The other option (and the one I'm using) requires you to make some changes to the Firefox configuration. This is how you fix this "memory leak" problem. (It's not actually a leak, it just doesn't flush the cache it has.)

1)Type about:config into the location bar and press enter
2)Right click any line to bring up a sub-menu
3)Choose "new">"integer"
4)paste this into the dialogue that appears: browser.cache.memory.capacity
5)Next click Okay
6)Specify the amount in kb (about 60000 should do) in the next dialogue that appears
7)Restart Firefox and happy surfing.

Oh yea, and Firefox is not an older version of Netscape :tazz: It is based on the Gecko engine, which Netscape is built on, however after Netscape went south for a while, Mozilla took the torch and built an amazing browser. I've used FF and Opera, and I like FF better, hands down.

Edited by BoomShake007, 02 September 2005 - 06:48 PM.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
All this CRAP about you need to reboot your computer now and then. Why doesnt someone come out and say firefox has/had a memory leak and thats why you need to quit it now and then? "Not designed to run for long periods" sounds like a lame excuse for "we havent found a memory leak" to me. How come no-one is willing to criticise firefox? I use it, I swear by it and find it much better than IE, but at the same time I'm not scared to criticise it.

Adrian.