Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need password . Changed setting. Can't get on.

• Please log in to reply

Didylu

Didylu

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've been at this for almost 3 days now. Service pack 2 is where my troubles began. After removing it, they've gone from bad to worse. After I decided I hated sp2 on my Dell Dimension 2350 and uninstalled it, I slowly began to notice things werent working properly. I had to reinstall my printer, Window Media Player, AOL byoa for my Cox high speed cable...anyway, I was working at trying to get things working right again when I started getting this error message:
waol.exe-Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SHRegGetValue could not be located in the dynamic link library. SHLWAPI.dll.
The more I fixed the worse it got. Finally I had no internet connection, no network connection, no ip address (which I could not renew), my network adapter and ethernet had yellow marks by them in the device driver....So, I called Cox Cable. They couldn't help at all. I finally decided to reinstall the whole thing. I never could get the network adapter and ethernet right. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times. It always ended up with error code 10...it is there, but it won't work.
Finally, I opened it up and found the PCI slot and took out the network adapter card and put it back in. Then it said "found new hardware" and that I just needed to install the drivers. I knew I had to reinstall the drivers from my Dell resource cd anyway, so I was hopeful.
While I was downloading, unzipping, and rebooting I kept having to grant permission. Then, when I got to the Broadcom Integrated Controller, it said I wasn't authorized to complete the download. I was so close!
After 2 days of this with no sleep, I decided to loosen my security and changed some settings, hoping I wouldn't have to grant so much permission AND that maybe it would let me download what I needed. I am the administrater and have the only user account. Guest account is even off.
Sorry this is so long, I'll get to the REAL problem.
Somehow in my security adjustments I made it so I had to log on with a password to get into Windows. I don't even have a password for that. None of my usual passwords work. I started all over trying to reinstall the OS, but it still wants a password!
Since I began writing this there was something it coouldn't install...can't remember what, but I retried a couple of times and it said click F3 to quit. I decided I had enough. I am very tired. Then, after quitting, it asked if I wanted it to start windows. I decided to go for it.....AND THEN it had another message, "NTLDR is missing. Click control, alt, delete to restart Windows". And surprise, surprise, it didn't work! I shut it off with the start button and wrote a book.
Sigh....my main thing I want to know is: How can I get around that logon problem? I am pretty sure I can figure out the rest. How can I know a password I never created? How can it know if it is the right one since there is none?
Thank God for my laptop! :tazz:
I think I'll go to sleep now. I'm too tired to be stressed about it right now.
You've helped me a lot already. Thank you. This might be asking for a miracle.
Sorry for bloviating. ;)
Wish me luck.
Sincerely,
Didylu :)

Advertisements

Didylu

Didylu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just want to let you know, I tried to reinstall One More Time. I no longer need to fix the password problem. I had to lose a lot of stuff, but so far it seems to be going well. I'm not done yet...took a long nap...but when I stopped I was still getting hung up on "network adapters"in the reinstall. In Device Manager, where it should say "Network Adapters", it has a yellow question mark and says "Other Devices".
I'm going to try to work on it now. I just don't need any responses to the password question.
I'll check back later.
Didylu
:tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
We here at GTG have rules against helping people with password reseting\recovery. Sorry to say we can't help with the password matter, because we can't verify whether ur trying to hack into a system or not.
Plus, if we do post a solution, someone else might read it, and try to use it for hacking.

BTW... For the Yellow "?" in device manager, u will have to install\update ur Network Card Drivers.

Didylu

Didylu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Iam still trying to install the Network Card Drivers. I'm beginning to think it's corrupted or something. How would I fix that? Where would I go to get a new one?
I figured that about the password thing. It was really weird. It's normal now.
Thanks,
Didylu :tazz:

Didylu

Didylu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Great news! You can mark this issue as resolved. All of a sudden my internet connection was back. I got a windows update notification. I checked and my network connections, ip address, and everything is normal again. I'm not sure why, but I'm happy now.
Whoo-peee!
Didylu