Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Latitude D505 wifi card driver issue

• Please log in to reply

desk_jock

desk_jock

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have recently purchased a second hand Dell Latitude D505. I formatted it almost immediately to install windows xp pro. I know I should have taken a screen shot of the device manager before I got rid of everything. :tazz:
I have been on the Dell site to download the drivers for all devices. Everything is working well apart from my onboard wifi card.

I have downloaded & installed the dell truemobile drivers & the intel PROwireless drivers from http://support.dell....5&os=WW1&osl=EN without successfully connecting to my wireless network at home.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled drivers few times and now when I reboot my system it asks me specifically for the "Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter" driver.

When I have the "Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter" driver installed, my laptop will find the wireless router signal & try connecting to it. It will then bring up an error saying it cannot connect and I should contact the network administrator, which is myself. On my wireless router I have allowed it to assign only 1 of 3 ip addresses. I have entered one of these ip addresses instead of "obtain ip address automatcally" in the tcp/ip properties of the wireless network. Then when I do an "ipconfig" I get a message saying "media disconnected". This seems to me that the laptop still cannot communicate correctly with the wifi card.

If anyone has any ideas on what drivers to use or even if anyone has a D505, could you take a screen shot of your device manager so I can try fix this problem.

Thank you...
Regards,

desk_jock

Edited by desk_jock, 11 August 2005 - 08:01 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you put the service tag in on the dell website it should still get you to some of the proper drivers.....when you do an ipconfig /all what happens? ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew what h appens?

desk_jock

desk_jock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have put the service tag in on the dell website and I got a full list of drivers. I installed all of them listed on the site.

The only one that shows any promise is the "Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter" driver as it finds the signal but just cannot connect. I will try the ipconfig /all as soon as I get home.
I have tried setting the ip address to an address that the router allows. ipconfig still said "media disconnected". I have an external pcmcia wireless card which works fine with the router so i know the router is ok..

desk_jock

desk_jock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
when I do an ipconfig /all I get "media disconnected" for both the ethernet adapter LAN & Ethernet adapter Wireless Connection. It also gives me a description of the hardware & the physical address..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the card isn't installed correctly then.....because if your wireless card is enabled and connecting to a router that is givving out dhcp..(which a wireless router has to do) then you would have an ip

desk_jock

desk_jock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
By installing the drivers listed on the dell site for my d505, I still cannot seem to get the card installed. Is there a tool I can use to find out exactly what type of wifi card I have in my machine?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
everest home edition

desk_jock

desk_jock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I finally got my wifi card working & thought I would share it with you.
when I looked at the properties of the wifi card, I found that it was set to "connect to b network only". My wireless router was set on the 802.11g network. I changed the settings of my router to 802.11b and restarted my laptop to find that everything was now working correctly. :tazz:
Thanx dsenette for all your help,

regards
desk_jock

Edited by desk_jock, 15 August 2005 - 02:33 AM.