Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with pictures loading

• Please log in to reply

Rick69

Rick69

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi I have a little issue. Well every time I go on to some websites, alot of the pictures do not show up or load up, instead it just shows the box where the picture is supposed to be and that little symbol. Usually I try to right click on that little symbol so I can click "show picture" but its not working. So do I need to download something like a plug-in, I dont know. Can you please help me, Thank You.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You don't need a plugin to display pictures in your web browser as long as they are in JPG, BMP, or GIF format. If the problem arises only on some sites but not on others, I would hazard a guess that there's a problem with that web-page having html-code errors on it. I've seen this quite often. The HTML code for that page doesn't point to the correct location of the thumbnail, or the thumbnails themselves are missing. Either way, the picture isn't there and there's nothing wrong with your settings.

Rick69

Rick69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The thing is that I think something is wrong with my computer because I can view the same site on another computer and it shows everything including the pictures but on mine it doesnt. Any suggestions.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I would like to know if you are useing IE or FireFox. You are not the only person that get this I get it all the time is just depens on what my sigal is like and what other things are useing up my comection. (Refreshing the page sometimes helps if it is improtant that you sea the pictures.) Are you conected ues wireless like me or is your compurer conected by a cable, and also what is you conections speed.

Rick69

Rick69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well im not really sure of my connection speed i think its around 56K or something I am really not sure but I can tell you that I am using a cable DSL. I also tried to refresh the page but it still does not work. Also I dont kno if im using IE or FireFox. I really need help with this computer stuff. But any more suggestions.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I think that slow connections often cause this, I am the only person in my house that has this problem because I have the worst wireless connection (I am on a network). I will presume you have Internet Explorer (IE) since you don't know what FireFox is (I have had more problems with pictures loading in FireFox, but it is lot better Internet browser other wise (I never have any popups).

Now for the important part, your connection speed. Do you have dialup or broadband? Dialup is 56KB* and broadband can be any where up to 12MB*. If you have dialup try to upgrade to broadband (this might not be available in you aria, is which case I can do nothing to help you and you will have to ignore it). If you already have broadband get a faster deal.

The question that you will be asking now is how will this help besides making the pages load quicker. The answer is that when that computer asks for something form the Internet is only waits for a certain amount of time for a response, if is dose not get one is forgets it (this means that the picture dose not load).

* This is the bites per second.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 August 2005 - 04:54 PM.

Rick69

Rick69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any more suggestions?