Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cluster size

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have heard that the bigger the clusters on a hard drive the faster it works. Is this true? I don't use much of my hard drive so space is not a problem and will make them a lot bigger if it will make my computer a bit faster.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 11 August 2005 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
If your using NTFS (4) ..no it wont be faster but it will fragment your windows drive (partition) faster.

Fat32 does benefit..say 8 or 16bit cluster size..I wouldnt go much higher than that...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, if you are talking about RAID set ups then it will make a difference, but you generally want to have it set mid way as there are disadvantages as well. But otherwise as one cool said.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Yeah, if you are talking about RAID set ups

I was talking about single drive setups..

my fault :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Thanks for the reply. I only have one hard drive with Ntfs partitions so I won't do it. Warriorscot you said that there are disadvantages as well, besides the waisted space what is the disadvantage.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I was only adding in the RAID as you had allready covered the single drives one cool.
As one cool says it will cause a higher degree of fragmentation and working with smaller files for normal non gaming use can be more difficult. You can get more details if you google it, been a while since i read the last article on the cluster size. It mostly evident when you use RAID in NTFS its not going to affect performance much other than causing defragmentation.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
So should I make the clusters smaller to help stop defragmentation? I am not conserned about games being slow not haveing any that are very good. I am off to Googel now but would like to know that you think.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Leave it the way it is, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If it aint broke, break it or make it better.

I am not that conserved about data lose (five partitions and a complete back up with Notron Goast makes me not conserned) I have is a 4KB what would be the best.

I am reading a few things from Google fight now.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 August 2005 - 05:32 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
A quote from a web page that I read.

"The performance comes thew the bursts from the hard drive. by having a larger cluster size you affectivly have a larger chunk of data sent to ram rather than having to read multiple smaller chunks of the same data."

www.tweakxp.com/article37042.aspx

Is this true? If so I am going to make the cluser size a lot bigger on some paritions (on one parition the average files size is 20mb so it might be worth the change.)

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 August 2005 - 09:50 PM.