Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cable or DSL?

• Please log in to reply

nddl05

nddl05

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I searched around the web and this site quite a bit, so my appologies if I missed a thread with all the answers.

I, like many I imagine, and stuck between cable and dsl. Our DSL service claims download speeds of 3-5M and upload of up to 896Kbps (though I'm not sure how far away we are from the provider). Cable service claims 5M down and only 256K up. First, would the slower upload speeds be a factor in online PC gaming (call of duty for example)? I don't run any websites or networks or anything, so would I be better off saving some money and going with a slower upload?

Sorry for the very generic question. I would appreciate any advice or direction towards some. Thanks again!

Advertisements

tunads

tunads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My personal experience would say go with cable. in my experiences with dsl the fastest i've gotten is 200KBps (or about 1.6Mbps). I have a cable and i usually get between 300KBps to 500KBps, and sometimes higher.

When you looking at speeds remember that they are in bits. This is different that the bytes that people use to measure the size of CD's and hard drives. A byte consits of 8 bits. So when your cable company says that the speed is 5Mbps (i'm sure they bits to trick people) this is the same as saying (apx.) 610KBps.

There are some deceptivly good deals on DSL right now and their offers might seem great, but cable is by far better, hands down :tazz: (there are other service and software issues ;) that I have with DSL that i won't go into).

For a converter between bits and bytes visit: http://www.speedguid.../conversion.php

nddl05

nddl05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the response. As far as download speeds go, I was under the impression that cable would be the best way to go. I am still a bit worried about the slower upload speeds though. I contacted my cable company and they said they have no plans to upgrade - so is 256 upload not enough?

tunads

tunads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i've never really uploaded anything that needed that speed. you made need more speed if you need to upload large web pages to servers or stuff like that, but even then, i wouldn't sacrifice cables constant performance for DSL's faster(?) upload speed.

also when you said 256K did you mean Kb or KB because if its KB(bytes) then cables upload speed is faster. if its Kb(bits) then dsl would have the edge.

like i said, it all depends on what your using it for. if all your uplaoding is small word documents and excel spreadsheets then you wont notice the difference (between 256Kbps and 800Kbps) at all. you will only start to notice any difference when you are uploading things larger than 10MB.

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I say go with cable. I've had a cable connection for nearly 3 years, and I never plan on switching to DSL or back to dial-up. I've been on a few PC's that have DSL and it doesn't seem to be as fast, especially after heavy use.

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well if you can get the SBC yahoo dsl deal for $15 like they have been claiming, go with that.

But if not, I would definettly spend the extra 10 dollers or so on cable. I'm only on DSL because we can't get cable in my area :tazz:

tunads

tunads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well if you can get the SBC yahoo dsl deal for $15 like they have been claiming, go with that.

But if not, I would definettly spend the extra 10 dollers or so on cable. I'm only on DSL because we can't get cable in my area  ;)

View Post

remember you get what you pay for :)

DSL no matter the cost SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy: :tazz: :tazz: