Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BUILDING NEW GAMING COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
anyways, well this is the problem im having, im trying to configure an SLI system and right now this is what im thinking of

Motherboard: Asus A8N SLI Deluxe(integrated sound)

Processor:AMD 64 3200+

Ram:not sure, but my price range for that is around the 130-170$ margin, looking for at least a GIG

Graphic Card: Dual Leadtek Nvidia 6800's/GT's(still not sure)

Case: NZXT Nemesis Elite Case(Black) (from what ive heard this case has really good air circulation and has bang for your $$$(LCD Temp readout, 3 LED fans,etc)

P/S: im not sure, im really concerned about the fact that the computer might blow up as a result of the dual leadtek 6800's, and im not sure how i should control this.

Hard Drive:Maxtor 160 gb 7,200 RPM

Drives: im really illiterate when it comes to this stuff, but i want something that can
burn cd's as well as dvd's, and also read cd roms and dvd roms.

Anyways, i want you guys to help me out here...im just really concerned about my pc blowing up all of a sudden because im kind of new to the computer scene. also, could u guys point me in the right direction at what i should be concerned about?(such as the graphic card overheating etc) anyways thanks again

Cheers,
Kenny

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Looks like a mean machine...

But, instead of going dual 6800GT's, I'd just get a 7800GTX. You will get better performance, it will cost pretty much the same, less power consumption, and you won't have to risk destroying the two 6800GT's when you flash the BIOS to set up SLI.

If you do decide to get a 7800 instead, you might as well get a different mobo, you would be wasting money on the second PCIe slot. I wish I would hav known all this before I built my system... (I have an Asus A8N SLI deluxe)

EDIT: Also, when you buy the 3200+, try to get one with a Venice core, they run better and overclock like a mother...

Edited by Metalive, 11 August 2005 - 10:04 PM.

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
haha alright, but should i get one 7800gtx?does one outperform 2 6800's gt or even the ultras? also, there shouldnt be any problems with overheating or anything right..?thanks again for the quick reply Metalive

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 7800GTX outperforms a pair of overclocked 6800ultra by a fair bit, probably the best option. Also crossfire is coming out the ATI spin on dual cards and it is much easier to use that SLI, i am not saying get it but its something to consider as they are being released end of the month.

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yea, buti heard ATI's crossfire is gonna be $$$$. since it uses the cards that are XT800 and up only. i heard that crossfire is only compatible with xt800 cards and up :tazz: still not sure, but i dont preper AtI. heard that their cards are decreasing in quality

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Other way around they are increasing in quality and the prices are the same as sli, it does only work with x800 and up but considering that the x800 is cheaper than the 6800 its a good deal. A pair of x850s in a crossfire board is the fastest graphics you can get.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well, until the r520 comes out... can you imagine two of those together? I could get a hard on just thinking of the possibilities...

By the way, any news on that cards release, scot? I've been saving here and there, got about $400 USD already.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No no word yet ATI are keeping it very quiet, i didnt know about the crossfire boards until i saw them in my favourite online computer parts shop. I shouldnt think too long when they run behind schedule someone you usually finds out and tells the papers.

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well...personally i dont like ATI..i dont know why...but i just dont ;)
anyways this is what im thinking of again since u guys have lended me some advice :)

Processor: Amd 64 3200 (Venice Core) (i wanna overclock it later)
Motherboard: Asus A8N SLI deluxe
Ram:1 GiG Samsung
Graphic Card:XFX Nvidia 7800 GTX OC
Hard Drive: still 160 gb
Case: NZXT Nemesis Elite Case(black)
Drives:Dual Layer,blah blah blah
P/S:500 watt

i think this is pretty decent, my price comes to around $1200 for all of this. im thinking of picking up the EVGA 7800 GTX though, they're running a special on newegg.com, comes with a free SLI mobo :cheers: for only $549.99, that outta save me another $150 bucks or so :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That cpu and that gfx. No. Not a good idea a 7800 is limited by the cpu by all but the most powerful processors on the market. Seems a bit daft to discount ATI just cause you dont like them read some reviews and pick what is going to give the best performance for your system dont not get a part cause you dont like a brand name(a bloody good brand name at that). So take the money you were going to spend on a 7800 and spend it on a better cpu and get a gfx card more suitable a x800/6800gt or a 6800ultra/x850 pretty much in that order actually x850 being the most powerful but the 6800ultra has sm3 support. I would try and get the san diego cpu if you can, instead of samsung get ocz or corsair ram with low latency.

But thats just my opinion ignore it if you want.

Advertisements

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well, actually i wanted to originally couple the 7800 GFX with an AMD64+ 4000,but my budget is on a limit of $1300. so im open to suggestions :tazz:
well actually i only didnt like Ati because I've been around Nvidia for too long and im not sure how to categorize the graphic cards ;) sounds stupid,i know...

yea you're right, ill look into that and see if i can do anything about it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you are looking for x800s and x850s pro is less powerful than xl and xt pe is more powerful still. You should compromise between cpu power and gfx power otherwise it wont get as good performance and you will not like it when you have to replace the card eventually.

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
after careful consideration of all your suggestions, especially warriorcot :tazz:
this is what i have come up with

Processor: AMD 64 4000(San Diego Core)
Motherboard: Asus A8N SLi Deluxe
Ram: 1 gig DDR2
Graphic Card: BFG 7800 GTX OC
Power Supply: 600 w. power supply
Hard Drive: Maxtor 160 GB Hard Drive
Disk Drives: NEC 16X Dual Layer DVD Rewriter
Case: NZXT Nemesis Elite Case(black)

That outta do it, believe it or not, all of this will cost me under $1000, as there is a bid on ebay for a AMD 64 4000,600 watt power supply, the NZXT nemesis elite case, dual layer, hard drive, the Asus A8n SLI motherboard, and the gig of ram for about $800. all i actually need to get is the BFG 7800 GTX OC, which im asking the seller as an upgrade. thanks again you guys

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You cant use ddr2 ram with AMD cpus they support DDR 400 Memory, some low latency corsair or OCZ is what you are after.
Also there is something extremely dodgy sounding about that, the guy would have to selling it at a fairlly substaintial loss.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 August 2005 - 07:24 AM.

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well..it is an auction after all, and the price will probably go up, but if it goes over 1500.00.....then forget it, and yea ur right, i will prolly get a pair of OCZ's