Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Home Network

• Please log in to reply

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi,

I tried to set up a network at my firends house the otherday, so they coud share their printer, and files. I first tried setting up the network by plugging both computers into the router they have, then I ran the network setup wizard, and when it asked me to choose what kind of network I wanted, I clicked other, then that the computers connect to the internet through a hub. That did'nt work, so I put another network card in one of the comptuers, and used a crossover between the two. I was able to make it so that the computer connecting through the crossover connected to the internet, and could seee the other computer, but could not access it, and the other computer could not see the one using the crossover. I tried uninstalling the drivers for all the network cards, and reinstalling them, and resetting up the network, and I even set up a network other than the default "MSHOME." Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help!

-Erik

Advertisements

ratakresch

ratakresch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi.

what about the ip settings?

they must be in the same ip range & subnet. check the gateway-adress

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
can you give me an example of this?

ratakresch

ratakresch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

can you give me the router ip and the type? so I may help you better...