Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI graphics card

• Please log in to reply

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi, i have an ati radeon 9250se 256mb graphics card and i downloaded the new display drivers and the catalyst control centre and it says AGP FAST WRITE that is enabled AGP WRITE that is disabled AND AGP READ that is enabled

and then underneath it says PCI WRITE AND PCI READ there both enabled could anyone tell me the right settings for my graphics card.

Advertisements

HQZ

HQZ

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Here is some info on what each of these settings does:

PCI Write/Read: These features allow the PCI Graphics card to write/read to system memory (As opposed to Video memory).

AGP Write/Read: These features allow the AGP Graphics card to write/read to system memory (As opposed to Video memory).

Fast Write: Fast writes allows the CPU to send data to the Graphics card without having to go through RAM, making it a far more optimal approach. That said in reality most benchmarks done on this have shown it to be of little actual benefit, in some cases performing slower, not mention on other systems it causes stability problems. As a result you might want to run a few benchmarks before choosing whether or not to leave this On or Off. On some systems this can cause stability problems & where it does you should set Off.

You can also use SMARTGART to auto detect the settings and set them for you. Also the reason you have the AGP Write disabled is because the Fast Write is enabled, you cant have both enable at the same time. To me your settings are just fine as long as your system is stable. If you start having some issues you can try turning off the Fast Write and using the AGP Write option. It will lower your fps, but not significant.

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thanks for the advice but when i am running my games they run for about 20 mins at the MAX then just shutdown could that be something to do with the AGP fast write.

HQZ

HQZ

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
The best way to find out is to disable the Fast Write and turn on the AGP Write and see if you can play the game for a longer period, also if that doesn't work can you consider a heat issue maybe?

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
which would be the best having ati catalyst control centre or ati control panel thanks in advance nost.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are both essentially the same except the catalyst control centre is a newer version of the original ati control panel.

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thanks for the advice

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i downloaded the display driver with ati control panel and now my computer just resets after 20 mins maybe more does anyone know what it could be thanks in advance nost