Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Westell Versalink 327w Network Help

• Please log in to reply

degtr

degtr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Westell Versalink 327W DSL Modem/Router from Verizon. I have a PC running Windows XP connected to the first Ethernet port on the Versalink. I have a second PC running Windows 98SE connected via wireless. Both PCs connect to the Internet fine, but when I follow Verizon's directions to set up a full home network (for file and printer sharing), I'm not having success. I run the network setup wizard on the XP machine and then let it create a network disk to be run on the 98SE machine. When I run the disk on the 98SE machine and it reboots, it is never able to "see" the XP machine or the workgroup I have created. When I browse my workgroup on the XP machine, the only PC in the workgroup is the XP machine. After running through all of this, however, both PCs still connect successfully to the Internet through the Versalink. Verizon's directions are not the best, but I followed them to a tee. Where am I going wrong?

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hello degtr, and welcome to Geeks To Go!

First thing to check: are you running any firewall(s) on the machines? Are the Workgroup names the same?

ttysoon, SD

degtr

degtr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, SoccerDad. Yes, both machines do have firewalls, and both workgroups are the same. I solved the problem over the weekend. It turns out that the network setup file that Windows XP creates did not execute properly on the Win98 PC. I went in and manually set up all of the bindings and addresses on the Win98 machine through its network control panel based on an ipconfig/all that I ran on the XP machine and ultimately had success.

boxercrew

boxercrew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same problem with the same equipment. Both connect to the internet, but are not connected to each other. I can't even log on to the config page for me WEstell. I get page not found. Any ideas?