Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive didn't show up at boot (XP)

• Please log in to reply

flying_nomad

flying_nomad

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Gentlemen,

I too have a computer problem that's going to need some expertise.

Machine is an Alienware laptop - 3years old. P4-2.4g. 512m ram. 40g HD. OEM install XP-pro, (recently upgraded to SP2 by disk)

For the past 3 or 4 months, intermittently the machine would not recognize the CD-rom upon boot. Sometimes it would, after I had opened the tray, and restarted. Sometmes not.

The last time it did was about 4 weeks ago, when I did the SP2 upgrade. At that time, the CDrom showed up as drive "H" in windows explorer. It showed up in Manage Disks, (right click My Computer, manage, disks) but showed "inactive" or "empty" or some such. I forced the drive letter back to D, the disk worked, and I did the SP2 upgrade.

Prior to that I had done a ghost onto a USB hard drive w/ 4 partitions (which had shown up as D, E, F, G) - thus forcing the CD out to H.

For the past 3 weeks the CD doesn't show up at all on boot. It's not in windows explorer, it's not in disk manage, it's not in my computer.

Last time I saw it, I did check the drivers, and they were showing "functioning properly" or something like that.

I just installed a brand new actual drive - Teac DW244-E - thinking that might be the problem. Nope.

Problem now is I can't even format and reinstall from CD, because I can't see the CD. There's no reason to go back to the old Ghost image until I have some indication that's going to really help the situation.

Suggestions, anyone?

BTW, Norton Internet Security suite 2004 running. Antivirus check every disk read/write. SpyBot & AdAware. All 3 of these updated and run every weekend. DSL w/ router firewall on. Hardwired.

I'll send cookies (chocolate chip OK?) if we can figure this out.

Advertisements

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
when you put a cd in the drive, does it do a spindown? Meaning, does it make a noise like its starting?

flying_nomad

flying_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The new one does, yes. The old one didn't.

Here's what I've done today. I went to the mfgr website and found a new bios prgm for the machine, so this afternoon I flashed the bios. The new one is specifically supposed to fix some "hyperthreading" problems after SP2 upgrade. The flash went fine. But still no CD. The only place the CD shows up in the Bios is in the Boot from CD area. I had it off, but turned it back on. No help there.

What about dirvers? Could the CD drivers have gone south? I don't remember exactly how to, or what to look for, in the routine that allows you to boot one step at a time and watch for drivers etc. F8 maybe might get me to the safe mode boot.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here is a possible fix from M$
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553

flying_nomad

flying_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thankyou Trusted Tech...........

i have tried that, but no go........

i think i better take my computer to some repair service, maybe the mobo is damaged..........

i just don't see another solution.

anyway, thx for helping you all.

grt, Patrick

sandydoull

sandydoull

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a similar problem, the microsoft solution which involves deleting registry entries worked, thanks austin_o!

Sandy Doull

My Webpage