Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

Computer Illiterate

Computer Illiterate

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Help! ;)

I've been having a ton of problems with my computer. I finally got a message the other day telling me to reinstall Windows. I do not have a recovery CD, and was advised by Microsoft and Compaq that my only option was to buy another copy of WindowsME. I bought it, tried to install it last night, and NOTHING HAPPENED. The same messed up version of WinME came back on.

The mouse doesn't work, and I only have 16 color bit. How do I completely uninstall Windows, and start over again with the new CD version I just bought? Did I ruin the new CD by trying to load it last night?

Please help, school starts in 2 weeks,and I can't afford to buy a new computer.
Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look through this

http://www.windowsre.../indexwinme.htm

Computer Illiterate

Computer Illiterate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, I'll try it!
:tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can also follow the instructions at the top of this forum for a clean reinstall of win98 but use a win98 boot diskette, you'll need to download one from www.bootdisk.com (the win ME disk doesn't have the format function) and use your winME cd-rom.

Computer Illiterate

Computer Illiterate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize I could use those instructions with the WinME product. (That's just how little I know :tazz: )

I'll let you know how it turns out. One question on the site bootdisk.com, it has WinME OEM, and Mirror 1 and 2. What is a mirror?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A site which mirrors the download site, or a place to get the same download if the server is busy

Computer Illiterate

Computer Illiterate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
O.K. I understand mirroring now.

Another question (sorry) Is the boot disk, I downloaded from the site different from the WinME CD I bought? I use them both in reinstalling Windows?

Is this the same as a complete re-install, because I guess I don't understand what I'm doing, I'll follow the steps, but I don't really get it.

Also will everything be lost? I don't know what to save/backup to reinstall. I have Dial up (MSN) is there anything to save/reinstall with that?

Thanks for all of your help. I just am really unsure about this, and don't want to make it worse. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The boot disk only has sufficient files to get a system to the point where you can load the Operating System (Windows ME CD)

You will lose all the data and programmes so you will need to back up any files you want to keep.

You will need installation discs for the programmes you want to install on the PC, though some drivers and software can be downloaded.

You will need the installtion CD for the modem

Check that MSN dials a freephone number to connect you

Otherwise, make sure you have the access numbers

Computer Illiterate

Computer Illiterate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, Keith!

Last question, I hope:

Will all of the programs that originally came with the system be re-installed,automatically? i.e. Encarta, Games (solitaire), MS Works).

Finally can the WinME CD keep being re-used, if I screw this up and have to start over?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will only have Windows ME on the drive

You can get games from Windows Update

You will need software CD's for any programme you need to add

You can re-use the ME CD

Computer Illiterate

Computer Illiterate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Hello All,
I reinstalled WinME over the weekend, using the Win 98 instructions on this site. Everything seems to be okay, with 1 BIG exception.

I no longer have access to the modem. It's internal. I don't see any product numbers on my computer other than it's a Compaq Presario Internet PC, purchased in 2000.

I don't have the recovery CD, so I can't reinstall the modem that way. Is there any way to reconnect/find out what type of modem I have and reinstall it?

If not, how do I go about buying a modem? Finally, if I decide to go to Cable/DSL will I even need the internal modem?

Thanks for all of the help!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest here

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Save it to disc on the computer you are on now, load it onto the computer you have just installed ME on

Run Everest, click + next to computer then summary, look through list on right for network, get the name of the modem, post it here or get the drivers from the manufacturers site

If you are going for DSL then you will not need the internal modem

Disable the internal modem / uninstall the drivers as they can be prone to diallers

Computer Illiterate

Computer Illiterate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Thanks,

I went to the Everest site, and it says it can't be downloaded from a floppy disk.

I don't think my work computer Dell GX 150 Optiplex or my home computer Compaq Presario Internet PC, will support CD disks.

Any suggestions? How about the HD or ED disks?

Sorry, this is dragging on so long.

Maybe my tag line/signature should be:
Limited Knowledge with Limited Computers

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The quickest options are:

If you can locate the software CD for the modem

Ask a friend to download Everest Home onto disc