Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Localized system hangs

• Please log in to reply

MarineAcrobat

MarineAcrobat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About two weeks ago I had a new Dell Inspiron 6000 delivered with XP Pro SP2.

I'm up on all my updates and don't have a shred of spyware/malware on the machine. Still, I have having some issues with localized system hangs.

For example, when trying to view an intrustion report from NAV, it will hang as soon as I start scrolling down on the report. I can't end the task, process...nothing! It will just sit there forever, though the rest of the computer remains operable.

When using Yahoo Music Engine, the system will hang when I try and play a specific song in my playlist. I'm able to end the YME process, though and resume using the machine.

This doesn't seem right to me, any suggestions?

Advertisements

MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Your system may be low on resources which causes it to crash periodically. Try closing a few running processes and see if that fixes your problem. Some programs are extreme resource hogs and they are usually bad.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can you give your system config. (including pagefile size).

Lets also scan ur RAM and check whether it is damaged.
Download and run memtest86 (Bootable ISO version)

MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You may also want to try this out:

Start, Run, Type "chkdsk" and run it. This will fix all errors on your harddisk if you have any.