Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Password reset for gateway 2000 (bios and all)

• Please log in to reply

firedawgs86

firedawgs86

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a gateway 2000 and there is a password on it that i set a couple years back unfortuanatly i dont remember it as soon as it is done with booting a black screen with password box comes up and i cannot surpass it so far with all the attempts of what i have done and i tried going into setup/bios and it has the same screen popup

please help me out

Thnx,

Firedawg

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There is a jumper that can be moved from one setting to another and back, but for most people it's easier to take the little battery, about the size of a nickel, out for a few minutes and put it back in. You may need to go into BIOS and set defaults, or make some other changes, but it should get rid of the password.

firedawgs86

firedawgs86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
my knowledge of computers is quite low would you be able to tell me the where abouts that this battery may be located? i cant get into bios either it has a password as well

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

my knowledge of computers is quite low would you be able to tell me the where abouts that this battery may be located? i cant get into bios either it has a password as well

View Post

I can't tell you where it is located but it is the only thing on the motherboard that is shiny stainless steel and about the size of a nickel. You can't mistake it for anything else. The only thing is to put it back in the way it came out, don't reverse the polarity.

firedawgs86

firedawgs86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
k thnx i will try this out and then post how it went i hope that this will work and then i wont have to replace it ... i have an alternate one that reads non-system disk error ill probably have to replace so if i can get this to work that would be grand

thanks alot