Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows me to windows xp

• Please log in to reply

mjcaluza

mjcaluza

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
;) sort of asking can you upgrade a windows me to windows xp? :tazz: sorry if i'm being so dumb, if yes could you please educate me? :) thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Yep.. you can upgrade but a clean install is the preferred method..

Murray

mjcaluza

mjcaluza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks for that fast reply, what do you me a clean install is it free of spyware and viruses?

mjcaluza

mjcaluza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
by the way is there any steps to follow in upgrading is there any open forum that would teach how to do it? thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
A clean install means you totally wipe out everything that is currently on the hard-drive and install your operating system on a clean hard-drive..

Murray

mjcaluza

mjcaluza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok :tazz: thanks for that but any windows xp cd would do? with ofcourse serial numbers.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You can use either an upgrade version or a full install version of XP to do a clean install..

Just boot using the XP cd, use the option to remove all existing partitions and install XP..

If you use the upgrade version, then you will need some sort of qualifying medium to verify the upgrade (a lower version of Windows)..

Murray

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

;) sort of asking can you upgrade a windows me to windows xp? :tazz: sorry if i'm being so dumb, if yes could you please educate me? :)  thanks

View Post

I have a HP machine that was running Windows ME that I acquired from a death in the family. I went to Best Buy, purchased the Windows XP upgrade, went home and installed it. All the help you could possibly need is right there in the upgrade kit and it is all mostly self explanatory.

I would suggest however that if you are using any Mozilla software (ie...Firefox, thunderbird, Mozilla suite) that you first make copies to disk then completly uninstall the Mozilla programs prior to upgrading as I did encounter problems with these programs. Once you finish your upgrade simply reinstall the mozilla programs of your choice and then use the disk to get your setting straight.

Good Luck.