Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA nuisance

• Please log in to reply

ardently_enthused

ardently_enthused

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Would someone please tell me how to install a single SATA drive. I've attempted this quest in the past, but one time it wasn't detected at all and the other time it showed up as an ATA 133 drive and it was just a screwy process on the whole. Then I decided to come to the nice people at Geeks to Go (right guys?) for my answer. I know SATA drives are best when coupled together and that's how they are inteded to be used, but can you install a mere single one? A general walk through on installing a single SATA drive would be appreciated much. :tazz: <----Honor the smiley and shed a little help on me por favor.

P.S. And is that floppy disk with the RAID drivers necessary only if I'm doing a RAID setup (which I'm not), or do I need it installed regardless?

Edited by ardently_enthused, 13 August 2005 - 02:31 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ok you install the drive and plug it in, making sure to connect to the non-raid sata ports not the RAID sata ports if you have them that are part of the raid controller eg. silicon image.
You go to bios and see if it is there, if it isnt you might need to enable SATA in bios find it and do it. You should be able to see the hard drive in bios.
Put the windows installation disk in your CD drive. It should load up and when you get to the meu screen and use hit s as many times as needed to load all the appropriate sata drivers for your motherboard, as an example in my case this was three two for the nvidia and one for the silicon image controller.
Then install, reformat the drive install your windows and there you go.
SATA is something that the earlier motherboards that supported it didnt do very well that is why alot of people have difficulty with it, with newer motherboards its a daudle.