Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
My friend just bought a new computer for his sister as a birthday present but it turns out she had already bought one for herself. He wanted to to return it but the store wont take it for some reason. He spent 720$ on it and he is offering it to me but not for free. He is willing to give it to me for 400$. Its brand new! It's a Compaq Presario SR1520NX Desktop PC. It has a AMD Sempron processor (1.8 GHz), 512MB of DDR SDRAM memory, and 60GB 7200RPM hard drive. It also has a double-layer DVD+/-RW drive that lets you store and record double the data. You can use special media to record up to 8.5GB of information on one disc. This combo drive also lets you watch and create DVD movies, backup files, burn music or play games. It has seven USB 2.0 ports and two Firewire ports. It aslo comes with a Compaq Monitor. It's a flat screen CTR, 17", 1280x1024 resolution, stand alone speakers and on screen controls. And lastly it comes with an HP Deskjet Inkjet Printer. It prints up to 18 pages per minute, up to 4800x1200 dpi, borderless photos, and 6 color printing. I just want to know if it's worth the investment or should I get something diffrent? I would greatly appreciate anyones inuput! :tazz:

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
You can buy that PC brand new for $500 today. So you are getting a good price for it but only you know if it is worth buying. As in will you use it?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want a gaming computer i wouldnt buy it, good enough for your average home user bit of IE WP that kind of stuff. It would have been a mediocre computer 3-4 years ago now its a pretty dated set up.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Another friend of mine says that this particular computer doesn't have Intel and therefore it would make the computer slower. Does it really make a diffrence or what? My computer right now is almost five years old and I need a new one no matter what just to catch up with the times. I just want to know if this is worth investing in or should i get something diffrent. And please let me know about the Intel thing!

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Intel platforms are generally more reliable and stable but not necessarily faster. This PC here should perform better then your current one but you probably be better off buying something newer.