Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora-ABI/IBIS Toolbar/CoolWWWSearch [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wishiwereageek

wishiwereageek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wow that killbox is the coolest! It got rid of those stinkers!

Yes, I had it enabled to show hidden files and folders. Always did, but checked to make sure. I still could not see them, though. (Did Norton hide them somehow, like it hid all that trash?) But the killbox killed them for good, it seems! Thank you, thank you , thank you!

Thanks for your help on the trash overload problem. Norton is history!

On the keylogger/stolen passwords and accounts problem: I went back and took a look at the AVG "virus vault" and here's what was there:

POLMX.EXE Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.AS
UNSTA2.EXE Trojan horse Dropper.Delf.3.BC
POLLAL5C.EXE Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.AKR
DINST.EXE Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.BUN

All were detected on the evening of 8/11, but were not "healable". I zapped them them somehow... the next day, I think. I couldn't find any specific information on that particular version of Delf, but a similar version had a keylogger and its own little built-in post office (how cute and how evil!), so I'm guessing this was how it was done. But being a humble non-geek, what do I know?

The last (and, I hope final) Panda scan found only:

Adware:adware/wintools Windows Registry
Security Risk:Application/Restart C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tools\Restart.exe

Which is the same as last time, except now the stinkers the Killbox zapped are gone. The wintools might be gone now that Zone Alarm did its thing.

Thank you so very much for the advice on preventing future infestations. I will follow it! I've trashed Norton and I guess I need to install something in its place. Ewido doesn't work on Win98. Mom would like to upgrade to XP, but that would cost too much (they ought to give a discount to old folks, but too greedy I guess). Trojan Hunter looks pretty good, but so pricey! Now there is AVG (which I read isn't much better than Norton at finding Trojans), Ad-Aware, SpyBot, SpyBlaster, SpyGuard and Zone Alarm.

I hope I will never have to bother you again with new infestations after protecting this computer.

I am so grateful for all your kind help. And you have taught me so much!

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.