Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

• Please log in to reply

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm not sure how to use these forums yet, but I have a problem with my sound card (Sound Blaster Live! 5.1) Here are the problems...

1. When I try to install the drivers (from Creative's website) it tells me that there isn't a creative sound card found on my system.

2. I tried to install Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, and it gave me an audio error and won't let me install.

3. When I run the voice wizard for the microphone it tells me that everything fails (even though the microphone works). It's needed to run that wizard in order to use the mic. in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. (I found out that you can bypass this option by using the test wizard in dxdiag by using the "troubleshoot button" under the network tab)

Any idea how to get this working properly?

Thanks

Edited by Fox3inbound, 13 August 2005 - 07:33 PM.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Does the sound card show up in Device Manager? Are there any yellow ! or red x by it?

start>settings>control panel>system>hardware>device manager

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No, nothing. I just found a solution for the Grand Theft Auto problem. It was a data2.cab - incorrect function error. I guess the disk is scratched and dirty. I cleaned it and it worked, but the microphone wizard still acts funny. I can deal with it, not a big deal since my mic still works. Thanks for your help!

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would try moving the card to another pci slot and check Device manager again.....

edit...has this card worked in the past or is it new? Do you have on-board sound by chance. You might want to check setup and see if it's set to on-board sound.

Edited by macten, 14 August 2005 - 04:57 AM.

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Not sure if it's set to onboard or not. I assume since the speakers work it's not set to onboard. My microphone does work, it's just the wizard to set it up tells me that it doesn't and that is needed to have the microphone in the CO-OP mode in Chaos Theory. I guess I can live with that and close this thread, thanks for the help.