Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows XP During Boot-Up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

logos532

logos532

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was recently using Internet Explorer to view a webcomic, and I clicked on the link to its forum. Suddenly, in the group of small icons on right of the taskbar (forgive me for not knowing the proper term... it's the place where the time is displayed), a red circle with an X on it appears, and a speech bubble came up saying Windows XP had detected spyware, click here for tips on how to remove... blah blah. My computer freezes. I try CTRL+ALT+DELETE a few times. Nothing. I shut it off manually, restart. It boots up as normal, the Windows loading screen comes up. Once it gets past that it restarts. I try again. I try safe mode, etc. Same thing every time.

The system was built by my friend, and he used a burned copy of Windows XP to install the operating system. He's offered to help me fix this problem himself, but he's very busy lately so he can't help me right away. Which is why I'm here.

I asked him to lend me the copy of Windows XP in the mean time so I could try to fix the problem I have. I intended to format my hard drive and restore Windows. Sadly, my computer won't respond to the CD while it is booting up. Does a CD have to be specifically designed for emergency system recovery in order to be recognized during boot-up?

So now we arrive at the problem. I need to be able to restore my system during the boot-up process, but I lack a system restore CD... is there any way around this?

Perhaps this is poetic justice for relying on a burned CD... hehe. At any rate, I would really appreciate some help, because I'm returning to school in the fall and I NEED a functioning computer. Haha. If system specifications are needed, or any other information, I can provide that upon request (I'm using a library computer and don't have it offhand).

Thank you.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

I am sorry, but our TOS (Terms of Service) do not allow us to provide assistance to anyone using pirated software..

I strongly suggest you purchase a legal license or install cd and go from there..

Until then, I have to advise you that our support ends here and I am closing this thread..

Murray